• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little advice/help please....habits changed?

slicric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Pricilla, is a little over a year old, she has really slowed on her eating over the last couple of weeks, temps are right, though my sun lamp is also over a year old.......she eats salad but not anywhere near 80/20. She still seems active though starting to show loose skin. She normally eats 10 to 12 crickets a day and some salad.....now it is a cricket or two and a tiny bit of salad every couple of days???? she might even go three days, do they normally slow way down on eating, is there something I can check? Any advice/suggestions will help.

Rick

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would update your UVB, over a year old is pretty old unless you have a solar meter and can measure how much UVB it's still putting out. They do tend to slow down their eating as they get older. Both of mine started to slow down at around the 2 year mark. Dexter is almost 3 and I can only get her to eat once or twice a week and barely any salad. Luci is almost 2 and he eats bugs every 3 days and will nibble his salad every day.

Do you have a picture of your girl?

slicric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Pricilla, is a little over a year old, she has really slowed on her eating over the last couple of weeks, temps are right, though my sun lamp is also over a year old.......she eats salad but not anywhere near 80/20. She still seems active though starting to show loose skin. She normally eats 10 to 12 crickets a day and some salad.....now it is a cricket or two and a tiny bit of salad every couple of days???? she might even go three days, do they normally slow way down on eating, is there something I can check? Any advice/suggestions will help.

Rick

slicric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would update your UVB, over a year old is pretty old unless you have a solar meter and can measure how much UVB it's still putting out. They do tend to slow down their eating as they get older. Both of mine started to slow down at around the 2 year mark. Dexter is almost 3 and I can only get her to eat once or twice a week and barely any salad. Luci is almost 2 and he eats bugs every 3 days and will nibble his salad every day.

I will try to get a picture up tomorrow, thank you for the reply. I am new to beardies, but Pricilla has stolen my heart, just so much personality!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, they easily steal our hearts! How long have you had her?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My girl – who's about six years old has slowed down to almost eating nothing. I'm thinking she might be going into brumation. She did last year I don't remember when but it's it's about right I hate it when they go to sleep for months on end! I believe that is not generally recommended to let a bearded less than a-year-old go into brumation but that may be what she's doing now

slicric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, they easily steal our hearts! How long have you had her?
I got her for my son, he did not have room for her to be kept in his room with his ball python and game systems.....so we put her in my mancave she has become mine she watches tv with me everynight. We got her when she was 7-9 weeks old last September 22......so we have had her slightly over a year. I will post pictures very soon, she is orange/red/yellow very beautiful to me.

slicric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I got her a new light today, and a hammock.....also picked up some superworms, she went crazy for them, so I guess she was just bored with the same old dinner menu?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, they can get bored with their food. I use supers as my main staple and even started breeding them only to have my boy slow down on eating and my girl just sticks her nose up at them. My chameleon will occassionally eat one but not his favorite.

She is going to LOVE the hammock! Especially if she has a good view of the TV from it :)

Latest posts