• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A heat lamp...

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
I have one of those sticky strip thermometers and a Sun Power (I think I know it's made by Zoo Med) 160w UVB and heat lamp all in one. About 12 inches under the light is her basking spot (her thermometer is right above her rock). It reads 95*. The guy promised that the $80 light bulb would be enough for my 55g (her basking spot is in one corner). I got her Monday and since then the ONLY time I've seen her off her rock is to eat. I've never seen her open her mouth like the beautiful gapping pictures posted.

Now I need another heat lamp apparently. I don't want to get another one and make it to hot (her cool side of the cage is about *75. ) but her basking should be a little bit hotter. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a TON of money since I am planning on building a new setup (you guys are inspiration and I want something custom now) but of course I need to have her basics set up right. Any suggestions? I have a very limit supply of reptile stores and I already refuse to buy from one and now the other I don't completely trust their opinion.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
160 watt should be plenty hot. could be you have a "bad" bulb. i use 160's in 40 gallon tanks because the 40's seem to self regulate with 110 at baskin spot and 82 0r so at cool side which is just about perfect. i will say that in my experience no two bulbs are the same wether they are the same brand or not. i don't know what you are using for the baskin platform but i use dark pieces of fieldstone like you would see on someones fireplace or retaining wall. the dark color absorbs more heat and the dense rock holds it so yes, it actually gets hotter. beware of black plastic though as it can get super hot.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have 2 things to say, in the way of advice.

1st -Those Strip Thermometers give you the temp of the glass which is affected as much from the ambient room temps as the inside enclosure environment. That is not where the Basking temp should be taken, basking temp should be taken directly at the basking spot. Color & density of the material used for a basking spot, also affects it's temps. It is a heck of a lot hotter directly below the bulb than it is off to the side. Temps should be taken with a digital thermometer with a sensor that can be placed on the basking spot or on the BDs back while basking or with an infrared thermometer (Temp Gun). Analog thermometers are notorious for their inaccuracy, have been known to be out as much as 10-20% & are difficult to get the temps measured at the right spot.

2nd - As a rule, the minimum safe distance for a 160W MVB is 15" (18"-20" recommended by Reptile UV), any closer & you are putting your BD at risk of receiving harmful strengths of UVB & possibly other unwanted types of low wavelengths & parts of the Spectrum such as UVC. These bulbs are meant to be used in larger enclosures where these minimum safe distances can be achieved. They also do not tell you that at these distances, you may very well have to supplement the heat with another heat source. In my opinion, MVBs have no business, are unsafe when setup in the regular manner, in smaller enclosures less than at least 24" tall to allow adjustment of a raised basking spot within safe specs. If you can raise it high enough off of the top to achieve these safe distances you may be OK.

This is the spectrum chart from Reptile UV that I posted on another thread - I can't seem to find one for the the PowerSun, but it would be very similar. If you happen to own a UV meter, which very few people do, then you could take actual measurements & adjust accordingly, failing that, I highly recommend for your BDs health & wellbeing that you keep outside these minimum safe distances when using MVBs.

Mega-Ray001.jpg

Reactions: Jp

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
all my mega rays read between 70 and 75uW/cm2 at 14 inches. my solar glo's read 25 to 38. the reptisun 10.0's all read 35 to 38. all within 3 to 6 months old. i wish all bulbs sold came with a certificate of testing with actual readings then we would know for sure what we are buying and we would have less people buying bogus bulbs... or does that make too much sense.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i think everyone with more than one beardie should at least consider a uvb meter. sure they cost a couple hundred bucks but some enclosures cost as much, some dragons costs as much if not more and i know from rescuing these guys that a sick beardie can easily cost three times as much. you want to keep them healthy as they will live and average of 7 to 10 years. (really closer to 7 for most) thats about 40 bucks a year. i know times are hard and not everyone can afford it but it seems to get left out of the list of items needed for basic setup. ok......im done!

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks guys. I dropped her rocks so that gave me more than the min distance. I'm going to the store tomorrow to get another heat lamp and another thermometer.

Latest posts