• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A 'Heads Up' To Canadians About Keeping Tropical Roaches

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To Whom it May Concern:

I thought I would give a 'Heads Up' to new & old Canadian keepers that may be contemplating acquiring & starting a colony, or already have one, that may not be aware of the legalities of it.

Some time back, after recently hearing more & more about the legalities of keeping Tropical Cockroaches in Canada. I did an inquiry concerning Discoids for my own info & received the following reply, much to my dismay ...
Hello Germain,
Exotic cockroaches are only allowed into Canada for research or display in educational facilities like insectariums, butterfly houses and museums. Presently, we do not allow import of exotic cockroaches for commercial sale and distribution. We have the same policy for exotic stick insects and mantids as well as tropical butterflies.

If you wish to set up an insectarium or educational display, you will require an approved facility. Certain Canadian citizens with approved facilities do have colonies of exotic insects but they are not permitted to move, sell or distribute them.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact:

Douglas J. Parker, B.Sc., M.Sc.
(613) 759-6908 / [email protected] / Facsimile/Télécopier: (613) 759-6938
Head, Entomology - Ottawa Plant Laboratories, C.F.I.A.
Chef, entomologie - laboratoires des plantes d'Ottawa, A.C.I.A.
Bldg. 18 / édif. 18
960 Carling Ave/ 960, avenue Carling/ Ottawa CANADA K1A 0C6

Web Inquiries Team
On a separate, follow up inquiry on existing CB colonies,
Hello Germain,
As you know, there is a large underground system for the exchange and sale of exotic insects, diplopods, molluscs, reptiles, amphibians and almost anything that is prohibited. We realize this and our inspectors regularly seize these non-permitted species from pet stores and citizens --- anyone who is in possession of exotic arthropods without a permit or an approved facility is doing so against our regulations. Colonies of exotic sticks and mantids, cockroaches and millipedes that are held outside of approved facilities are illegal. And we will continue to seize these organisms until the regulations are changed. This country is plagued by exotic invasive organisms -- plants and animals. No exotic organisms should be introduced into Canada without a thorough risk assessment as to the impact on the Canadian environment and agriculture.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Regards, DJP.

Douglas J. Parker, B.Sc., M.Sc.
(613) 759-6908 / [email protected] / Facsimile/Télécopier: (613) 759-6938
Head, Entomology - Ottawa Plant Laboratories, C.F.I.A.
Chef, entomologie - laboratoires des plantes d'Ottawa, A.C.I.A.
Bldg. 18 / édif. 18
960 Carling Ave/ 960, avenue Carling/ Ottawa CANADA K1A 0C6

So a 'Heads Up' to the rest of you Canadians out there, who may not be aware, (I wasn't, thought it was just rumors.) this applies to all Tropical Cockroaches ... Dubias, Discoids, etc. The risks of getting caught may be slim, but if caught, I'm told that they will confiscate all your exotics, the legal ones too. This would include your BD collection. There is a process to have the legal animals returned to you, but it is a lengthy one & who knows what kind of shape they would be in when, if returned & what expenses may be incurred for the process, successful or not.

This is just to make you aware of the risks, here in Canada. What you choose to do with this info, abide by it or not, is entirely up to you.

Have a good one,

Latest posts