• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A he or a she?

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all I need help sexing my dragon, I think shes a girl but im not 100% .. Not a clue how old he/she is as I go her from a pet shop, n they didnt know.
2012-02-17 17.47.57.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can't tell in that position ... Other than I don't particularly much appreciate how he handles the BDs, although he is a very experienced breeder, that produces some extraordinary dragons, this is a really good Visual on sexing.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Great video Germ. We would need better to help you out. By looking at the pores on the legs I am guessing female at the moment...

And yes, I agree with you about how they handle them. They wouldn't be my first choice of breeder to buy from, far from actually. Not with a video that they posted up on Youtube.....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you are talking about the one with the scorpion & the anole feeding, yes I have seen that one too. I questioned him on it some time ago & when asked, why the feeding of the Anole & Scorpion, this was his reply ...
people kept putting thier small bearded dragons in with thier adult dragons. Then, they were suprised when the babies got eaten. (this happens every month over and over again.) Hoping this video educates on how varacious bearded dragons can be. Feeding a scorpion is simular to a trout eating a crawfish.

We were concerned that the scorpion might injure the dragon, especialy the eyes. I carfully clipped the tip of the stinger to dull it. The scorpion I used in the video has very very mild venom. The dragons were in no danger.

I only feed and recomend roaches, crickets, worms, and greens.

Steven Barnes

Don't particularly like the method but understand the message ... :rolleyes:

Some of the Dragons he has produced are absolutely gorgeous.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I thought the same thing about Bloodbank at first, but after thinking more about it these guys in the wild aren't eating tiny crickets and roaches. The whole space between the eyes is more of a myth. A "safe" guide line. After talking you my breeder friend feeds some pretty big feeders as treats. Including pinkies. If I'm not mistaken, anoles are sold as feeders in florida anyways.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are the type of responses that I have personally seen regarding the video, the more experienced breeders are OK with it, while the Pet keepers are all up in arms, other than the YouTube idiots, that go for the shock & morbid factor. I'm kind of neutral, while I mostly agree with
SouthernDissolution said:
these guys in the wild aren't eating tiny crickets and roaches. The whole space between the eyes is more of a myth. A "safe" guide line.
A BDs lifespan in the wild is not any where near what is capable of achieving in captivity, because more care is taken & the 'Safe' guide lines are used. BDs die young in the wild for many reasons, natures way of compensating, is why they have so many offspring in a clutch, only the smart &/or lucky ones survive. A severe example of, 'Survival of the fittest & the circle of life'.

But there are limits ... While there is a good message & reason behind the video & some of what is fed (That is not explained), there are many not so good ones sent out to the Newcomers to the hobby, without explaining the experience & extra care in husbandry, etc. required. I respect Steven, his experience & really can appreciate his Dragons, but can't help but think that this could have been shown without causing the inexperienced to feel that this is 'Acceptable Everyday Happenings' (More concerning the Scorpion) in captivity, as he quickly explained in his reply to me.
I only feed and recomend roaches, crickets, worms, and greens.

Just my opinion, the possible unhealthy repercussions could have been more carefully thought out.

Sorry about the thread getting somewhat 'Hi-jacked' and going off topic, Kaykayy. Hope the Video posted helped.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL. I know the life spans are alot shorter in the wild, but the point being is they eat what they can. Beardies arent sickly, fickle animals. They're little tanks. I stand behind Bloodbank 110% =)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you read the posts Kaykayy, there is no way to tell from that pic, the tail isn't being held in the right position, which was the point of posting the video so you could check as shown or post a pic with it held in the proper position for us to check. ;)

Reactions: Jp

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL. I know the life spans are alot shorter in the wild, but the point being is they eat what they can. Beardies arent sickly, fickle animals. They're little tanks. I stand behind Bloodbank 110% =)
I think you may have missed the point of my post ... Steven (BloodBank) doesn't recommend it either. I simply pointed out that it could have possibly been presented in a different manner or at least explained in the video that these aren't recommended regular feeding habits as he explained in his quoted replies. The thread where the quoted replies stemmed from on RF ...
Blood Bank Dragons Video

Or are you saying that it should be OK for the newbie to feed scorpions to BDs on a regular basis?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm just waiting for a better photo to help you out ;)

I'll comment on another thread about the different subject if someone want to start a new thread.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
No. I'm agreeing with you. I just don't like the safety nazis that auto spew out trash about Bloodbank. No one on here, more or less the geniuses on youtube. I didn't come here for an argument. And Kay, hold it how he shows you in the video and then take a picture for us.