• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about my (hypothetical) setup

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, I'm planning on getting a bearded dragon and have been looking for the right cages. I've seen a few tanks that were about 55 gallons and I had my eyes on those, but then while reading online I found this habitat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OQSJX0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I was wondering if this would be a proper alternative for my bearded dragon, as it's much cheaper.

The website I found it on said it was appropriate for them, but I was wondering if this would be suitable for a full-grown bearded dragon. You guys seem like experts and I just want to keep my future pet safe and happy.

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get the right terrarium for the right size bearded dragon. If you’re starting with a juvenile bearded dragon your plans will be too large and really harder to maintain proper temperature. For about $150 at Petco or Petsmart, you can go and buy a full kit with nearly everything you need. I would recommend getting a separate light to put on there for your UVB bulb because you don’t want that right next ur basking. If you’re like me next to that you will purchase a blue heat lamp for night , because I live in the north Where everyone gets cold. Since I want to regulate my bearded dragons temperature, she gets a heat lamp at night. Make sure you purchase the right substrate, something that is safe for your bearded dragon for again the age that they are, and also make sure you have a hide. Because at night your bearded dragon will want to go to sleep and if you still have lights on she may not feel comfortable and wear herself out. I just bought a new hide a larger hide as my bearded dragon has grown and she goes to bed earlier, Sometimes as early as 7 PM. But that is normal, there’s nothing else going on wrong, she just likes to tuck herself in early.
I hope that you do get a bearded dragon they are wonderful pets, and they love the attention of their owners!

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get the right terrarium for the right size bearded dragon. If you’re starting with a juvenile bearded dragon your plans will be too large and really harder to maintain proper temperature. For about $150 at Petco or Petsmart, you can go and buy a full kit with nearly everything you need. I would recommend getting a separate light to put on there for your UVB bulb because you don’t want that right next ur basking. If you’re like me next to that you will purchase a blue heat lamp for night , because I live in the north Where everyone gets cold. Since I want to regulate my bearded dragons temperature, she gets a heat lamp at night. Make sure you purchase the right substrate, something that is safe for your bearded dragon for again the age that they are, and also make sure you have a hide. Because at night your bearded dragon will want to go to sleep and if you still have lights on she may not feel comfortable and wear herself out. I just bought a new hide a larger hide as my bearded dragon has grown and she goes to bed earlier, Sometimes as early as 7 PM. But that is normal, there’s nothing else going on wrong, she just likes to tuck herself in early.
I hope that you do get a bearded dragon they are wonderful pets, and they love the attention of their owners!

I actually ended up purchasing a 75 gallon tank. I realized after that I needed a third light for the cooler side to get it to about 75 degrees.

I realized I also needed to give my dragon a place to hide so before I was able to buy one, I gave him a sock. I woke up in the morning to him sleeping in it. It was amazing haha.

I bought a blue light thinking it was ok for night but I read it wasn't. I'm now just using that as my third bulb for the cooler side and am going to buy an infrared bulb that doesn't emit light for the night time.

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg
The red light is bad. If ur temp in ur house is regulated u can go without blue light. That is what I learned from people who personally have many different species. I can tell u my bearded dragon is very healthy and seems content with that setup. I will include a pic of her hide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
The red light is bad. If ur temp in ur house is regulated u can go without blue light. That is what I learned from people who personally have many different species. I can tell u my bearded dragon is very healthy and seems content with that setup. I will include a pic of her hide.

Right now, my tank is kind of boring haha. I have the ladder, a hammock, green reptile carpet, a stick leading up to the hammock, and a big stub sort of thing for climbing I bought from the store. It sounds like a lot, but it only takes up less than half of my 75 gallon tank. I also have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CJNEI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 coming today, but anything else you'd recommend that is on amazon?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Right now, my tank is kind of boring haha. I have the ladder, a hammock, green reptile carpet, a stick leading up to the hammock, and a big stub sort of thing for climbing I bought from the store. It sounds like a lot, but it only takes up less than half of my 75 gallon tank. I also have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CJNEI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 coming today, but anything else you'd recommend that is on amazon?

That's a nice hide, I got most of my decor on Amazon. Sometimes boring tanks are nice, gives them more floor space to run around. Try to get things that use the vertical space too. I've done ramps to hammocks, bendy vines to climb on, we've tried just about everything LOL!

You are right about the blue light, don't use it!

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg

I had the carpet too but I hated the cleanup which is why her current substrate which is not harmful as she won’t eat it accidentally.
However now that she is getting older I may move to a sand mix just for a better look. And I am looking for a larger terrarium. Specifically one with the rock background as the only time she get annoyed is when she catches her reflection. But I say as long as ur little one is happy and healthy that’s all that matters

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg
As for the blue light, mine may be purple but the key is that my home doesn’t hold good temps and this emits only heat, NO RAYS!
But if ur keeping a good temp u don’t need it, that is 100% true. But I just went on a fact-finding mission, to see if I’m doing it wrong despite my healthy lizard. All I can tell you is that they say if you have a good temperature you don’t need it, if not make sure that it doesn’t admit red and that is not a red light. I went to about four sites and they all said the same thing. Only here are people some more aggressively saying no that’s wrong. But I can tell you everyone learns from different sources, I don’t just take one source I try to learn from multiple and except the fact that I could be wrong on things.
That said with my healthy lizard who sleeps great, I am confident that I am managing her healthcare and terrarium care in the best way possible for my environment. That environment may not be suited for everyone. Happy new year

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
As for the blue light, mine may be purple but the key is that my home doesn’t hold good temps and this emits only heat, NO RAYS!
But if ur keeping a good temp u don’t need it, that is 100% true. But I just went on a fact-finding mission, to see if I’m doing it wrong despite my healthy lizard. All I can tell you is that they say if you have a good temperature you don’t need it, if not make sure that it doesn’t admit red and that is not a red light. I went to about four sites and they all said the same thing. Only here are people some more aggressively saying no that’s wrong. But I can tell you everyone learns from different sources, I don’t just take one source I try to learn from multiple and except the fact that I could be wrong on things.
That said with my healthy lizard who sleeps great, I am confident that I am managing her healthcare and terrarium care in the best way possible for my environment. That environment may not be suited for everyone. Happy new year

yeah but I read and many have told me that the blue light actually does produce light that is visible for the bearded dragons, which is why it should not be used as a source of heat during the night time. Instead, people told me to just use an infrared light that only emits heat which I bought on amazon.

The only thing is I really need to buy a background but the only ones that are pictures but on amazon, even with two day shipping, will arrive in like a week and a half. I've been looking for some that will arrive earlier, as none of the pet stores have it. The same is with the crickets, they can't arrive for about 2 weeks.

Latest posts