• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Change of Heart

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well as some of you know I was planning on re-homing Rex here a little while back. Well I had a change of heart. Rex and I finally started bonding. I started letting him spend more time out of the viv with me and he has started eating more and being less picky. Probably one of the biggest things that affected my decision was a conversation with my mother. She asked me how Rex was doing and I replied that I was rehoming him. She was surprised seeing as how I'd been very preoccupied with raising him etc. She didn't think my difficulties with him were enough reason to give up on it. She said "well when you were a baby and acted up or wouldn't eat or ate too much I didn't give up on you". This made me realize I was really just being impatient. Funny how parents can still give the best advice even when you're in your mid twenties hehe. So, I still have Rex, and he is doing well, hit 13 inches the other day and his legs are getting longer along with his torso, whereas earlier all of his length was tail. I am ecstatic that he is finally showing some character instead of how he used to be soo disinterested in everything and act like a bump on a log. So yea, I guess I'm back :)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Awww. Glad you didn't give up on Rex. All it takes is patience, and in the end, it's worth it.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Really happy to read this, Justus! Welcome back (not that you were really gone). :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Only a mom can put one in their place. ;)
Glad things are working out.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
zeus was that way for a while when we moved into the new house. We worked on getting his tank hotter. we only had the one basking light in there and it was just not enough. also stopped giving him so many crickets and worked on getting him to eat more fruits and veggies. ( per research ) between that and a luke warm shallow bath every few days he has really shown character and is wayyy happy!

glad to see you have not given up on your beardie!

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I totally understood where you were coming from!! I can remember a time when Yoshi was so sick and I had tried everything. I was worried sick about him and he wouldn't eat or poop. Every morning I'd expect to find him dead in his enclosure. I remember thinking...just die if you're going to do it and let me get on with my life!! But I kept trying new things and asking more questions(until everyone I'm sure was sick and tired of hearing about him). But today he is doing great and I love him to pieces. It is frustrating but I am glad I did not give up on him!!!

By the way. I NEVER really believed you'd give him away!!! : ;)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im so glad youre keeping him.

I went through a kinda similar thing with Pogie in the first 2 months I had her. She was tiny, unsociable (Actually outright agressive) I kept hoping she would die during the night (And she wasnt even ill) so I could get a new happy friendly one. But as you know, she didnt die and I kept up with the patience and it HAS PAYED OFF. Now I cant even fathom how I ever couldve wished her gone.

Latest posts