• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A bit concerned

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I know I post a question almost everyday... I am probably just a bit paranoid especially since I can watch Draco all day every day so I ask unnecessary questions.

I've noticed that Draco likes to close his eyes while basking. He doesn't keep them closed all the time, its about half and half. Sometimes it looks like he's trying to sleep while he's up there too. He'll lay his head down but not for long periods of time. Most of the day he stays perched up. He typically basks most of the day but comes down to eat crickets and walk around for maybe 10 minutes then right back up on the branch, also, he doesn't go to the top of the branch all the time he explores all around his branch but doesn't come down from it much. His temperature stays between 108 - 112 in the basking spot and consistently around 85 cool side. He doesn't tend to go to the cool side much at all though and I've seen him gaping every now and then but from what I understand this is normal when they bask. Could it be because of his age too? He's 2 months old. I've been soaking him everyday and misting him at least once a day.

I'm just a little nervous because he doesn't seem super active when he's in his enclosure but when I'm holding him he wants to zip everywhere. He's looking a little duller than normal so I'm wondering if he's about to shed? His tail just shed but nothing else yet.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What does your set-up look like? Maybe he wants a few more interesting areas to explore. I would definitely add a hide for hiding and climbing purposes and maybe add another branch so he can jump around. He might just be bored. Mine was super active until he was about 7 months, then he started lazing more.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Heres a picture of my setup. I now have a stand for the light and today I switched his heating bulb which seemed to help, It was a lot brighter than the new bulb but they emit the same amount of heat. He still had faded black marks on his belly then when I switched the bulb his belly marks completely went away and he kept his eyes open more. He also took a quick nap even though the lights were on and when he woke up he was more alert. I guess I still have to play around with different things till I find out what makes him happy. I'm just worried about him.

He's been gaping a lot too but only when he's been basking for a while. He doesn't do it constantly but he'll open and close him mouth every now and then. He has only gone onto the rock steps twice.. He literally lives on his branch. Only comes down for crickets.

DSCN0145.JPG

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It looks like he has enough to play with. It seems a bit dark in there. I am assuming this is a 40 gal? I have 2 basking lights in mine so he can choose a temperature gradient he prefers and for better light output as whenever I turn off the second light (sometimes it gets a little hot in my apartment) he waddles off for a nap in his hide thinking its bedtime. It's difficult to light a 40 gal.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter does the same thing. Although, shes so lazy (or spoiled) that she wouldn't even come down for crickets. I would have to pick her up and put her on the floor of the tank! I went to work this morning with her sitting on her branch and came home 4 1/2 hours later to find her in the same spot. She almost looks like she's sulking in her tank. I just try to take her out as much as possible. I usually just put her on my shoulder and she's content to stay there as I do stuff around the house.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I'm glad to know this is normal! He'll move around his branch he just doesn't like to come off of it. He will stay in the same spot for hours though! The most he'll usually do is move down a couple of inches. The only time he really explored his tank was the first day I put him in there.. since then he found his favorite spot and stays there. Won't even come down to eat his greens.. I have to hold a piece up to his face to get him to eat it! Little booger...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I hope it's a normal thing! I'm learning right along with you! With Dexter I will sprinkle her greens around the tank near her favorite spot and she will eat them. I only caught her eating off her plate once, she hates to be on the bottom of the tank. Does Draco like his greens? Does he eat other food that isn't green? We have our food groups, green, orange, red, and blue/purple. She LOVES anything that is green and will eat until it's gone. She was eating squash for awhile but not a huge fan. I've been trying to feed her strawberries but she isn't interested but she really likes papaya. It's so fun seeing what they will eat!

I also learned when she is done eating, if I try to put food in front of her she closes her eyes as if to say "no more". They are so cute!

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
He likes his greens so far! Thats the only color other than crickets and pellets =P What is the blue/purple?? I'm interested in your food group! I would like to do a variety for Draco too!

He closes his eyes on me ALL the time when I'm putting greens in his face! :p I guess he's telling me "no more" too! He likes to ignore me and pretend I'm not there when I'm trying to get him to eat his leaves!

I think Draco hates being on the bottom of his tank too... Unless theres crickets of course. I just fed him some and he was running all over the place for them :)

I agree, they are very cute! I absolutely love his little personality!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
As far as her food goes, green is her favorite color and dandelion leaves are her favorite food by far. We do dandelion leaves, cactus (nopoles), arugula. We stay away from romaine and the normal lettuce's. We tried kale and swiss chard but she doesn't seem to like things that are curly. She likes papaya and blueberries (her blue/purple group) are a hit and she will eat orange squash. Things we tried that she doesn't care for: strawberry, raspberry, red pepper, watermelon, mango, and yellow squash. She will also taste a banana or apple but not really eat it.

Alex Arrigone

Hatchling Dragon
mine did the same, i put a bit of fake leaves from pet shops in it and made a corner of my tank a little jungle climbing frame so she has makeshift tunnels between the leaves and high places to climb. she knows some crickets escape there so she goes off into there a lot and loves climbing on it now.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Alex, does she try to eat the leaves? I thought about making a hide with leaves but since she likes "leafy" veggies so much I was afraid she would try to eat them! Maybe...I can find some red leaves since she doesn't seem to like that color...

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Where do you find dandelion leaves?? I have been looking for some with no luck. I didn't know we could feed them blueberries! I'll have to try those =) I'll get some papaya too. I'd like him to eat a variety other than greens and crickets! I like your colorful food group so I'm going to have to give those a try!

Maybe I'll get some fake leaves and see if he likes that. Right now I'm going to stick to the setup though. He's still a baby and I need him to be able to find the crickets. I had a hard time finding them one day.. I thought I had all of them then when lights went out I saw 2 on his branch so I went in and got those then 3 more popped out then 4 after that so I clearly suck at finding crickets :rolleyes: So now I only put 3 in at a time and wait for him to eat those and put 3 more in.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know if you have them in Georgia, but Whole Foods usually has dandelion.

Latest posts