• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

55 galon tank :D

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Actually as far as floor space goes a 55 gallon tank has a little less than a 40 gallon Breeder tank and is aproximately the same as a 40 gallon Long tank. The big difference is a 55 gallon is taller but more narrow whereas a 40 gallon Breeder is shorter but wider giving more actual floor space in the 40.
In my experience a 55 is much harder to get your temps right and your UV to your dragon because of the tallness. The same lighting set-up you were using will probably not work with the 55 gallon and you will probably have to purchase a stronger higher watt basking bulb or raise the basking spot up higher. As dragons get older they don't like climbing as much and like to stay closer to the ground which could pose a problem later on.
If it were me I would pass on the trade because the 40 gallon breeder tank is much more suitable for a bearded dragon enclosure.
Enjoy your weekend:)

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's not always true. Companies do make 55 gallon tanks that are wider and less tall. Same as a 40 gallon breeder but yet it'll be longer. My father had one for his Nile monitor. It all depends in whether his uncle has a 55 fish tank, or a reptile enclosure.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Scotty... That may be true but I haven't personally seen one before and have looked around at tanks for years and searched as well on the Net many times for different tanks and as far as 55 gallon tanks go what I've seen over the years has always been standard 48 long x 13 wide x 21 tall. I have run across 50 gallon tanks that are 37 long x 19 wide x 20 tall and 65 gallon tanks that are 37 long x 19 wide x 25 tall and even 75 gallon tanks that are 48 long x 19 wide x 22 tall but as far as 55 gallon tanks go they have all been the standard long, narrow and tall that may look larger than a 40 gallon breeder tank but as stated isn't. My statement was only based on my own experience and I would love to see one of the 55 gallon "reptile" tanks that you have seen so if you have a link to some info please post it.:)
Enjoy your weekend!

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
So a 40 gal breeder tank would be better than my 55gal tank I have now. Hmm I knew my tank was a little too slim. I will have to look into getting a 40+ breeder tank

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Thorn...sorry for late reply but yes the 40 gallon Breeder tank is what most folks who use tank enclosures go for and is the minimum size recommended for adult beardeds...They are wider which gives more floor space and not as tall which excess height is not really needed since beardeds are terrestrial creatures:)

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
Any one know of any good DIY 40gal tank stand plans? I'm going to save up and buy the 40 gal breeder but I don't see any that come with a stand and they are far too wide for my current stand.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Any one know of any good DIY 40gal tank stand plans? I'm going to save up and buy the 40 gal breeder but I don't see any that come with a stand and they are far too wide for my current stand.

I have a good set of plans for a very easy to build very sturdy stand for reptile enclosures. It can be easily modified for any size enclosure too but if I remember right the plans are based on using a 40 gallon Breeder tank. Will give you step by step instructions and even gives you a shopping list to use when you head to the lumber store.
PM me with your email address and I will be happy to send them to you:)
Enjoy!

Latest posts