• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

55 gal aquarium as a viv?

mrs. slugwall

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my husband and I are trying to save some money on a viv and he has a 55 aquarium that he's not using, it's 48" long 12" wide and 22" high, I told him I think 12" inches isnt wide enough for a viv but I'm not sure. Anyone have some expert advice for me? :)

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
A 55 gal. tank is good. Just make sure you get the basking spot high enough so that the Dragon is at least 12" from the UVB light, and the temp is right.

In fact, that is what I'm going to be using in about a week, a 55 gal. tank that I was using as a fish tank.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
A 55 gallon tank is workable but you will probably want to change it out for a 40 gallon breeder later on as you are going to find out that its much more.difficult to get your temperatures and gradients consistent...its because you are dealing with a taller tank that has an open top so getting your heat and uv etc down where it is needed is going to require you to use stronger basking bulbs for.instance and as Chris mentioned you will have to give your beardie a way to.get up to the uv he requires...that is easier done when they are young and are more willing to climb up but later on they like to stay lower.
I have used 55s for other creatures that like more height or as temp housing so as I said it is workable. You will spend more money and time in the long run.
The other drawback to the 12 inch wide is that when your dragon is an adult he will not be able to turn around comfortable.
And as far as laying the tank on its side it wont work as there is no way to hang your lighting inside the tank safely and UV is blocked by glass making it useless.
As a side note if you have a Petco in your area I just read another post where someone purchased a 40 gallon breeder tank today and that Petco was running a 1 dollar per gallon sale on tanks...its at least worth a looksee.
Will also recommend that you check your local Craigslist listings..I know that in our area the majority of reptile folks advertise on there...its a good way to meet other dragon folks and also a great way to find or get leads on cheap deals on things like tanks as well as a lot of other things you may need for your beardie. Again its worth a looksee;)
Hope this helps and good luck;)

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)

mrs. slugwall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the replies :) I don't think we're gonna use the 55 gallon, we found a showcase cage on Craigslist for half the price they usually are. Does anyone have a showcase cage? How are they?

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
A 55 gallon tank is workable but you will probably want to change it out for a 40 gallon breeder later... and as Chris mentioned you will have to give your beardie a way to.get up to the uv he requires...that is easier done when they are young and are more willing to climb up but later on they like to stay lower... The other drawback to the 12 inch wide is that when your dragon is an adult he will not be able to turn around comfortable.

OK, point well taken. I'm on Craigslist at least once a week, and good deals on tanks are not unusual. Also, I'm a member of the Tampa Bay Aquarium Society, and there's always some members trying to get rid of tanks.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my beardie lived in a 55 gal tank until he was about 7 or 8 months. i agree with chris on the part were you will have to eventually change him into another tank. Their are some good advantages to a 55 gal while they are young i used a mvb bulb and never had a problem with temps or humidity. when they are young they l0ve to climb so i had alot of climbing spaces and zion loved it.

Latest posts