• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4-5 month old dragon not pooping every day.

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 4-5 month old dragon (not sure on his exact age, I should ask the breeder), and for the last couple of weeks he's been pooping every other day instead of every day. Is this a problem? He's eating normally, eats all his veggies in the morning, inhales all his bugs throughout the day, is active and happy, just doesn't poop every day. ‍♀️

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 4-5 month old dragon (not sure on his exact age, I should ask the breeder), and for the last couple of weeks he's been pooping every other day instead of every day. Is this a problem? He's eating normally, eats all his veggies in the morning, inhales all his bugs throughout the day, is active and happy, just doesn't poop every day. ‍♀️
Pooping every day for a young dragon is pretty common-- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? NO sick ons please --- and the UVB NO coils they are inadequate --- UVB controls the absorption of the calcium being taken in --- it also controls the over all health and behavior of the dragon --

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Pooping every day for a young dragon is pretty common-- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? NO sick ons please --- and the UVB NO coils they are inadequate --- UVB controls the absorption of the calcium being taken in --- it also controls the over all health and behavior of the dragon --
I have a digital thermometer on either side of the tank, right at the basking spots. I have a halogen basking bulb, a CHE for night, and a reptisun 10.0 T5 tube bulb inside the tank. His tank gets to 105°f during the day, and down to 75°f at night. I give him calcium supplement in his salad every other day, a multi vitamin once a week, a reptile probiotic twice a week, and calcium with D3 once a month. He gets collards most days, cause they're his favorite veggie, and I feed him bugs twice a day. Usually dubia roaches, bsfl, and a few mealworms mixed in cause he's nuts for them. I make sure he has 2 hours to digest dinner before lights out for the night. If I give him a warm bath he poops, just on his own seems to only go every other day. ‍♀️

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have a digital thermometer on either side of the tank, right at the basking spots. I have a halogen basking bulb, a CHE for night, and a reptisun 10.0 T5 tube bulb inside the tank. His tank gets to 105°f during the day, and down to 75°f at night. I give him calcium supplement in his salad every other day, a multi vitamin once a week, a reptile probiotic twice a week, and calcium with D3 once a month. He gets collards most days, cause they're his favorite veggie, and I feed him bugs twice a day. Usually dubia roaches, bsfl, and a few mealworms mixed in cause he's nuts for them. I make sure he has 2 hours to digest dinner before lights out for the night. If I give him a warm bath he poops, just on his own seems to only go every other day. ‍♀️
I would add the d3 to the every other day regimen (in my opinion) , and what supplements are you giving him if i may ask? It sounds like to me you guys did your research (the best we can do anyway, theres lots if misinformation out there)thats good , may we see a picture of the enclosure and him?

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would add the d3 to the every other day regimen (in my opinion) , and what supplements are you giving him if i may ask? It sounds like to me you guys did your research (the best we can do anyway, theres lots if misinformation out there)thats good , may we see a picture of the enclosure and him?
Is too much D3 bad for digestion? I'll try giving him D3 more often. Here he is, and this is his enclosure. I plan on getting him a bigger tank within the year so he has more room. He came from a great breeder, and is a really friendly guy, and seems happy. I just want to make sure his pooping every other day isn't gonna hurt him.

Attachments

• PXL_20210316_150411585.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210316_150411585.PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210112_190909589.jpg
    PXL_20210112_190909589.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The distance for your uvb is 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor? I would stop.feefing the meal worms- they are too harsh on babies stomachs- and too many can cause impaction--- the exoskeleton on the worm is very hard on their stomach- other than that everything sounds great- so the only thing I can think of is the mealworms causing the delay in the pooping

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
The distance for your uvb is 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor? I would stop.feefingbtge meal worms- they are too harsh on babies stomachs- and too many can cause impaction--- the exoskeleton on the worm is very hard on their stomach- other than that everything sounds great- so the only thing I can think of is the mealworms causing the delay in the pooping
I'll cut back on them, thank you. He's been eating them with a variety of other bugs his whole life, and is just now starting to poop every other day. He mostly eats dubias or bsfl. The mealworms are mostly a treat cause he goes crazy for them, and I make sure not to give them to him with his evening meal cause I don't want him to not have enough time to digest them. I appreciate your advice and for responding to me, you're wonderful. ☺️

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll cut back on them, thank you. He's been eating them with a variety of other bugs his whole life, and is just now starting to poop every other day. He mostly eats dubias or bsfl. The mealworms are mostly a treat cause he goes crazy for them, and I make sure not to give them to him with his evening meal cause I don't want him to not have enough time to digest them. I appreciate your advice and for responding to me, you're wonderful. ☺️
Cut them out for now see if the pooping changes-- I recommend people hold off on meal.worms till they are more adult age - super worms can be given 1-3 along w/ horn worms and butter worms - silk worms are a good staple feeder too- horn worms grow really fast so get the smallest you can get a order small amounts- they are a good hydrating worm

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Cut them out for now see if the pooping changes-- I recommend people hold off on meal.worms till they are more adult age - super worms can be given 1-3 along w/ horn worms and butter worms - silk worms are a good staple feeder too- horn worms grow really fast so get the smallest you can get a order small amounts- they are a good hydrating worm
Thank you, I'll cut them out and see how he does. Giving him juicy bugs is a good idea, maybe it'll help him poop more regularly. I'll look into finding some silkworms. Do you know of a good place to order some online?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, I'll cut them out and see how he does. Giving him juicy bugs is a good idea, maybe it'll help him poop more regularly. I'll look into finding some silkworms. Do you know of a good place to order some online?
www.reptilianarts.com for silk and super worms they may be out of the super but you can go here for the horn worms and super worms medium size www.dubiaroaches.com
Another place is www.mulberryfarms.com spendy on shipping they ship FedEx- they also have butter worms

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Is too much D3 bad for digestion? I'll try giving him D3 more often. Here he is, and this is his enclosure. I plan on getting him a bigger tank within the year so he has more room. He came from a great breeder, and is a really friendly guy, and seems happy. I just want to make sure his pooping every other day isn't gonna hurt him.
Well of course, too much of a good thing can be hurtful ,i was told and have read d3 helps the calcium synthesis into the dragon, they’re tandem vitamins they need to go into the dragon together, if anything it might even help move along his stool, this is what i was told atleast.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
how long is your dragon from head to tail. You can tell there age by that if they have not had anything happen to there tail. Because from your profile pic the dragon does not look 4-5 months old

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; Are you feeding mealworms? And do u have sand as a substrate? Are u over calcium-Ing him? If feeding mealworms stop them asap; it impacts them & destroys their tummy & is a cheap fatty horrible feeder. Also, if u have sand remove it; they ingest it & it impacts them. Use white terry cloth towels. As far as calcium (Repcal) only give him calcium powder 4times per week once per day. Dust the feeders lightly like salt on fries till they are lightly powdered DONOT drench them in calcium & on the next few feedings of the day don’t use the calcium powder. At his age he should be pooping daily assuming he’s being fed high amounts of protein and his greens/veggies but every other day is ok. Just feed him proteins at least 3times a day crickets and Dubias are the best. Alongside always 2 fresh plates of greens/veggies with no hard stems and cut up to size. U cannot feed a Beardie anything Bigger than the space between his 2eyes. And never ever do superworms or hornworms until after he turns a year old; their digestive tract is not ready for that when they are under a year old. Super worms are good proteins to incorporate but in moderation cuz theybare high in fat same with hornworms and these hornworms should be given as treats. When he reaches 9mnths or so u can do the protein feedings twice a day.

Latest posts