• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 lights not necessary?

jrv4babies

Bearded Dragon Egg
I set up a 40 gallon exo from the pet store. It came with 2 lamps but the young ladies working at the store (who both own their own beardies at home and in general seemed more knowledgeable than many of my previous experiences with pet store employees) really recommended I have 3 lights set up.

Both the UV and heat lamp on for 12 hours per day. Then shut both those off and red lamp on for 12 hours per day.

However I have read a couple posts on here that suggest the red lamp is not necessary and they can have no lamp at night?

Looking for some clarification/help deciphering the best set up.

If matters she is a 10 week old fancy bearded dragon (estimated 8 weeks old at pet store when I bought her 2 weeks ago).

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

jrv4babies

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks I have wondered what kind she is but haven't gotten that far into my research yet.

I am an avid pet owner and usually do a lot more research on the front end...live on forums etc.

However I ended up getting her about a month sooner than I meant to. I had already decided and started just very minimal reading and then I made the mistake of swinging by the cage while at the pet store picking up a supply for another animal.

I got suckered in by the great sale that was going on for the tank and supplies etc and then fell in love with a particular beardie and didn't want to wait ;-)
I'm always insistent with any pet on interacting with all of them for awhile until I feel like I know which one is for me.

Anyway, now I'm catching up quick!
Can I post an identification photo here or is it preferred I start a new thread in a correlating section?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Start a new thread. We love photos so the more the better :)

It's hard to resist buying them when you see the perfect one! When we got Dexter we did a little research before hand and then we went to Petsmart and we saw her, she was beautiful but we didn't take her home right away. We went a few days later and got the tank and supplies and set it up then went and got her a week later, luckily she was still there! With Luci he was an impulse buy. I saw him at the store and I fell in love and couldn't stop thinking about him. We were NOT prepared for another beardie at all, we had no idea where to put him but I went back that day and got him and we set him up in a 20 gal. We had a week of getting a shelving unit, getting a tank etc. Same with our rescue Dolly. I had no intention of getting another dragon but when I saw her I had to get her.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes we love pictures!! They sure do "grab" ya and when you get that I gotta have them feeling that's awesome!! I felt that way with my Izzy but I already had the 55gal from previous frogs... I did a bunch of research and fell more in love with these great creatures!

Congratulations on your little one! 10 weeks wow that's a baby baby :)

Latest posts