• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 Year old Male with Bulging Eyes - Help.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi my 2 year old Males eyes are 'Bulging' in his head. He was never like this before. We noticed it once during the Christmas/New Year break but the following day he was back to normal. We came down stairs yesterday to find they were swollen again & he is very lathargic, not eating. We have him as a result of the original 2 Dragons we got mating, but as we basically rescued the first 2 we dont know their history or even if they brother & sister, but it was too late by the time we discovered they were male & female, so I dont know if this could be affecting our poorly boy too. He is the only one like this, his temps are all fine, & he not dehydrated. I have attatched some pics to see if anyone has had any simmilar experiences before we take a trip to the vet. thanks
2012-01-06 09.54.28.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-01-06 09.54.41.jpg
    2012-01-06 09.54.41.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 2012-01-06 09.54.52.jpg
    2012-01-06 09.54.52.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2012-01-06 09.55.33.jpg
    2012-01-06 09.55.33.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Eye bulging is normal, its' done to stretch the skin & assist in shedding. If it is a constant issue, it could be problems with blood pressure.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Please do keep an eye on him, it is NOT supposed to stay bulged all the time. It should kind of inflate / deflate / inflate / deflate at periods when preparing for a shed.
My 2.5 yr old will bulge them......, scare the crap out of me........., see im watching her......., and deflate them.
This happens a few times a day for a day or two then stops completely till the next shed

Reactions: Jp

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks guys will keep an eye on him as he has been like that for 2 days now & he is the only one of the 6 I have that has started to do it.
Hey Dragonsx6, just checking in with ya. Any changes?

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
my beardies only do that when their shedding, and its always been on and off

Reactions: P

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is there anything one can do to help their dragon shed better when they are bulging like this? Would a soak help? Higher humidity?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
@Josh
Soaking is always helpfull when shedding in general, but IDK if it qill help with face / eye shedding. I always feel sorry for mine when her face sheds cos she rubs it against everything. Poor baby
I dont think higher humidity would be a good idea due to the risk of RI's.......unless of course you bump the temps

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi guys. He is back to normal now and has been for a few days. He is also back to his usual bouncy self. To answer your question about the uva/uvb Brett it is an Arcadia 12% +D3 Flourescent Tube that I use. I have the same lighting set up in all my vivs and they are all fine. He just suddenly did that with his eyes. I know they do bulge their eyes during shedding, but he isn't in shed at the moment that is why I was worried. I had also heard that Dehydration can cause it, but he is definately not dehydrated. The only other thing I am thinking it could be is he maybe has an allergy to something he has eaten? He had totally gone off his crix for a while so we had given him some Morio Worms, and it was a couple of days after the swelling started. We havent given them to him since, but will try again in the next few days just to rule it out. Will keep you updated.

Latest posts