• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 - 15 min rule

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Have been wondering the past few days about this, most people seem to put the crickets directly into the Dragons enclosure/viv. Then they get 10-15 mins to pig out which will take some time to chase and search and catch the cricks and then the excess is removed . . . right?

If you place the crics in a feeding container, it is usually large and the dragon has to sort of hunt them too, also takes some time (Less than above as crics cant hide) . . . .right?

BUT

What if you put the cricks in a bottle/jar. Only the BD head can fit to get to them. Does the 10-15 min rule still apply?
Crics cant hide, No chasing involved. Takes VERY VERY little time to eat them all.

Should one then count the cricks in the jar, say for example 20 breakfast and 20 supper???? If you leave the dragon to eat as much as they can for 10-15 mins will they stop when they are full or will they consume more than the other dragons who get fed by means of the first 2 methods?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When using the "corral" method of feeding, like the container or jar, I have found that once full, my dragons would leave the container, and go bask, not interested further at that "feeding" time to eat more than they wanted. Yes, their bellies might drag for a bit , but that doesn't last all day. Just until they have digested, and evacuated. I also have noted, as my dragons mature, they are less likely to "gorge" but will chomp down like 15 or so roaches, in a 20-30 minutes time period.
I do feed in a container in their enclosures. Same containers were their baths when they were all much younger. One will dive in... munch down like 5-6 roaches.. crawl out.. evacuate, and dive right back into the container, and finish off the roaches.. others will be more leisurely in their dining...
Hope that answers your questions.. and leads to more ;)
Mind you, these observations are mine only, others may have noticed differing behaviors.

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I feed Critter one the floor, one cricket at a time but he get to really run after them it's like a game and funny to watch.... When he looks at the cricket and then me and heads in adifferent direction then i know he's done and we go outside:)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hope that answers your questions.. and leads to more Wink

More . . definately. LOL

Pogie is the opposite. I used to put 15 cricks in the jar when I got her for B-fast, she would get in and maybe eat 8 or 9 in 5 mins... then she'd get out and leave. Supper time was the same thing.

Now, I put in 30 (B-fast and supper time), she dives in, polishes off all of them in under a minute. Scary thought what could happen if I kept adding more for 10-15 mins....

She used to eat only about 3-4 bites of her salad daily, now I refil the bowl twice...

Most of the time it looks like she's gonna EXPLODE . . .

Am I giving too little or is it sufficient for her age (7.5 months)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Each dragon is different and growth spurts occur at different times. Some days they will devour 100 crickets and other days, 50 or so.

Pogie is getting to that 1 year mark. So, you may be seeing a slow switch to more salad and less protein. The general rule of thumb is under 1 year, let them eat their fill. If one day she is devouring 30 crickets and still appears hungry, drop 5 more in. Keep doing it until the 15 minute mark happens.

As you are probably wondering, you don't want an obese beardie. Too many health complications can result. So, let her eat her fill and try and get her to run after the crickets. It's a form of exercise and entertainment for them.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, let her eat her fill and try and get her to run after the crickets. It's a form of exercise and entertainment for them.

P doesnt like being handled too much yet, so if she will let me take her out of the viv then I guess I'll have to get her a huge tank of some sorts... As I cant let the crics loos in her viv. There is far too many hiding places, you somply can not get to without removing the whole backdrop and other decor....

But will try the refil 5 at a time suggestion.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gosh wheres my manners *slap on the fingers*

Thanx all for the advice so far, would still like to hear more peoples thoughts, and experiences.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I feed Yoyo out of a bowl. When he's full he will walk away whether there's bugs left or not.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I feed my 2 babies (8 months old) in a bin a little bigger then they are. I drop a bunch of crickets in, and if they finish that, I keep adding 5-10 or so until they've had their fill. When they're done, they usually just sit there, or they'll try to climb out.

Although occasionally I drop a few crickets into Baby's tank, so she can hunt. I do not drop crickets into Ace's tank, because he's not a good hunter.

As for Charlie (adult), I put a shallow bowl of worms in his tank. When he's done, he just walks away, worms left or no worms left. He goes back to basking.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx, I am planning on posting a short video of the little piggy eating . . . .IF i can figure out how to get it on here LOL

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Thanx, I am planning on posting a short video of the little piggy eating . . . .IF i can figure out how to get it on here LOL

Good idea! And good luck figuring it out :D That reminded me, I should post a video too.... Let me know when you find out how!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He he think I got it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heres the little piggy when I approach with her jar of FOOOOD :p

This is how quick they dissappear from the jar, errr.... thats when she figures out its INSIDE not on top LOL
Shes got this whole "gimme gimme" thing going

And one big fat tummy is the end result
SNC00524.jpg

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Melissa,

Yes yes lol, but let me know HOW you did it. Wink

I uploaded it to Photobucket, and copied and pasted the image code (same as for pics...) into the message here.

Now its your turn LOL

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's so cool, what kind of jar is that??? I think i wanna try it to see if Critter likes it.....

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's so cool, what kind of jar is that??? I think i wanna try it to see if Critter likes it.....

That is one of those glass jars they sell at the shops for coffee/tea/sugar. Has strawberry pics on it, but its all I had at hand that her head would fit in . . . LOL

Her old jar was an empty glass mayonaise jar, I washed. But the neck has gotten too small for her / / or she's gotten too BIG LOL

I assume the video thingy works???? Cant seem to get it to work properly on my PC, Typical. It just keeps "buffering"

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Melissa,

Yes yes lol, but let me know HOW you did it. Wink

I uploaded it to Photobucket, and copied and pasted the image code (same as for pics...) into the message here.

Now its your turn LOL

Alright! Easy peasy! ;D I will be uploading videos in the near future. THANK YOU! :D

Pogie said:
I assume the video thingy works???? Cant seem to get it to work properly on my PC, Typical. It just keeps "buffering"

It works! At least, for me... LOL!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For some reason my reply got quoted, but I didn't do it, and I even tried to modify my post. Something's wrong here!?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What I do during the day when I can watch him is I leave a few in there for him to find through out the day. If I have to leave then I take them out. I only leave them in there if I can watch to make sure they don't bit him. He is in the living room where we spend a good part of our day and the deck is right off the living room so even when outside playing he is still in sight, so it is very easy to keep an eye on things. I like to try to mimic the natural hunting he would do if wild. It also gives him some stimulation to a rather boring life of sitting on a stick all day.

Latest posts