• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wondering about water

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok it's me again... The General lived his whole life getting crickets tossed to him once in a while. Now here I am --obsessed with taking care of him!
I worry constantly about whether he is getting enough water. His salad is always wet and I drip water on his nose but he only occasionally laps it. He didn't seem interested in drinking in his bath.
I know that we need to monitor the moisture in their habitats since they are dry climate animals so I worry about having a pan of water in his tank. (I read somewhere that someone had a big dish of water in the tank for him to soak in whenever he wants.) Is that a good idea.
I've noticed that he does show an interest when I get droplets of water on the side of his tank, but he doesn't lick them.
I was wondering if anyone had developed any sort of a drip system like those used for mice. Has anyone tried something like that? I'm thinking he would ignore it. Maybe if it was bright colored. (I put a little cat ball in his tank and he poked it around with his nose and rolled it for a while. Seemed to like it. )

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
A great way to c if ur beardie hydrated is pinvh the skin on his bak. If it stays pinched then.he is dehydrated. But if u pinch it and it returns to normal then.he fine. As for water dishes ect that depends on the humidity in ur viv. I dnt put water dishes.in my beardies vivs. They get out a couple of times a day and i just drip water on there noses sometimes they drink loads sometime not to much just depends really. :)

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You all are so patient with me! Thanks for all your advice.
No, his skin is plump. In fact, finding a loose place to pinch is difficult. LOL My son tells me he's probably too fat! But he went for a long time without a good diet... I guess I'm trying to make up for it!!

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
You all are so patient with me! Thanks for all your advice.
No, his skin is plump. In fact, finding a loose place to pinch is difficult. LOL My son tells me he's probably too fat! But he went for a long time without a good diet... I guess I'm trying to make up for it!!
My bf tells me every day that Diego too fat. I tell him that all beardies different just like ppl. They cum in all shapes n sizes. :)

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
A fat beardie is a happy beardie. I keep a large enough water source that they can soak if they want, it usually turns into their toilet but atleast I get to watch them play once in awhile. None of mine do anything when it's bath time.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
They get a lot of the moisture they need for their food. I just drip water on their noses when I bathe them. I don't put any water in the enclosure since this could raise the humidity level and you don't want that. I agree a nice plump,beardie is a happy one :)

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
I've always kept water in my viv. Now that mine are seniors, they love to soak in it. Especially when they're getting ready to shed. I rarely ever see them drink it. I live in a desert area so I don't have to be concerned with humidity. If your area is humid, I'd skip it.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If your putting water in with your greens than I'm going to say your beardie is hydrated. I wouldn't recommend a water dish in the viv, they don't see standing water, you would have to change it everything they go into it weather it be themselves or poor, dead insects etc.... Don't want them to drink up anything bad...... I got very mine baths once a week to aid in sheds, I have never misted any of my beardies, and I have there greens in water so I know they get it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have never misted mine. I have started to occasionally put a water dish in Dexer's tank. She will actually drink out of it even if the water is not moving. I don't do it all the time, she's a big girl and I hate clutter in the bottom of her tank. Luci will just walk through his and make a disgusting mess so I don't even bother.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When I got The General they sent along a spray bottle of 'humidifier.' (It was clear full, I don't think they ever used it.) It does seem to moisturize his skin, but is it necessary? Should I go looking for another bottle? Will it hurt him? He acts like it feels good but maybe that's just me equating how good it feels to put lotion on my alligator legs to spraying it on his back!
Has anyone ever used it?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Not sure what that would be. When Dexter was going through a real tough shed I bought her a product called Repti-shed. It helped moisturize her skin to help the shed come off. I only used it on her the one time but it says you could use it once a month right before they shed to help it come off. I just make sure both her and Luci get regular baths and they don't have any problems.

Latest posts