• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why Does My Dragon Change Colors so Much?

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a standard dragon. Just your run of the mill bloke; not fancy, not giant, no dark eyes, not smooth or leather - just plain old spicky; but still cute!

Why does he change color when NOT stressed? He never (or rarely) gets belly stripes. Occasionally happens when we are taking a shower - he doesn't like the water hitting his face!

When he is sleeping he is a very light tan (almost milky - even when not in shed stage). When he's awake and just hanging out in his viv, he's a darker khaki/grey but if I take him out he turns light tan again while I'm holding him. If I put him on the floor he curls his tail up and turns light tan while he's trotting around exploring the room. When he finds a place to rest, he's back to dark khaki/grey.

If I take him outside on a sunny day, he's dark khaki, then turns light while climbing the nearest bush or munching on his favorite treat - clover.

He rarely turns his beard black. Only happens if he's outside and a large bird flys over or if one stops to check him out. Or it happens when I show him his reflection in the mirror - he really doesn't like himself - maybe he realizes he's having a prepetual bad hair day - lol

Sometimes while he's having his bath, his cheeks turn a light pink/orange. I've always assumed this was because he was too hot and wanted out. Is this right?

Sometimes while we're snuggling nose to nose, the area around his eyes turns yellow.....I have no idea why.....any suggestions? He just looks at me like, "Mommmm, REALLY - I'm too old for hugs and kisses - I'm almost 16....months".

Bottom Line - why so many color changes?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they are like a mood ring it show how they feel at that time

TomTom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hey, my beardie does the exact same he stays dark when he is in his Viv but when i take him out into actual sunlight or for a swim he brightens up... i think it's something to do with their mood and body temperature not 100% sure though so dont qoute me on it lol :D it's nothing to worry about though.

your beardie also sounds like mine, dark khaki colour then goes to a desert sand yellow colour when he brightens up :D lol

Tom

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thas what they do color change can be a mood thing or for reflecting or absorbing heat. They will darken to absorb more heat or lighten to reflect. If i want good pics of my dragons i give them a warm bath or take them outside so they color up.

TomTom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thas what they do color change can be a mood thing or for reflecting or absorbing heat. They will darken to absorb more heat or lighten to reflect. If i want good pics of my dragons i give them a warm bath or take them outside so they color up.

i thought it was something to do with absorbing and reflecting heat lol :)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
dpn't ofrget, when your critter is in an enclosure/viv, you are looking at the under UV light. When you take them out, theywill look completely different because it is natural light. Do they change colour? or do your eyes trick you into them changing that much. My Yoda is a normal grey, when out of the enclosure but in under UV, you can see he is turning yellow. Is he yellow or is he grey?

Latest posts