• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why does he stick out his tongue

Andry

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Why does my beardie stick out his tongue a lot? Mostly when basking and pointing directly towards the light. At first I thought he was too hot, but I'm not sure anymore. He also does a lot of hand waving, but we do not know who he is waving to. The other beardie is in the next tank. Maybe he sees him? Or his reflection?
1028435927_wMACs-M.jpg

1028435946_L58s9-M.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tongue out is part of the way some reptiles regulate temperatures in their bodies. Others just open their mouths.

The "hand waving" is a submissive act.
All these are normal.
Hope this helps.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now that 1st pic is adorable.

hes so cute

Andry

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks to both, I do know the hand waving is submissive act, just didn't know who he was being submissive too. ;)

I've read beardie's open their mouths, just hadn't read any sticking their tongue's out that way.

All is good. Thanks.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like he is doing all normal things. The tongue can be "tasting" or part of gaping (regulating temperature). I see you have a digital probe right on his basking spot...what is the temp?

BTW...adorable pics!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Aw. so cute. Looks like everyone answered your question.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't go any higher. For a baby beardie the recommended temperature is 105-110*. That 113* is at the spot where the probe is? Just remember that it looks as if he can get higher on that log which means at the top of it, it is even hotter. What watt bulb are you using?

Andry

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It is a 90 watt GE halogen floodlight bulb. They each have one. Actually yesterday I did move it back some and it went down to 108. I'm still playing with the lighting.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The lights are the hardest part of it all. Keep playing with it and you will get it right. How old is he? He is so tiny

Andry

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I asked clint at downunder dragonz where I bought him from and he said 3 months, although, I think he might be a little younger maybe. He is tiny, 7 1/2 inches. My other dragon is only one inch bigger, but looks so much bigger/broader than this guy and they told me he was 8 weeks old. Here are some pictures from yesterday...

He's eating like a pig, so I'm sure he'll be fine. Spike, our first one didn't eat for 2 weeks and a half and he's growing quickly. This little guy ate from day one. :)

This is Toruk Makto
1029477376_vUU7v-M.jpg

1029475622_J5Gb4-M.jpg

1029475573_Rczzo-M.jpg

This is Spike
1029475598_MLSrf-M.jpg

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The two scaleys are adorable along with the human!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I figured, lol! He is cute.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gorgeous. Eating is a great sign that everything is on the up and up! Great job.

Latest posts