• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to start???

sxesweets

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just said hi over in the intro section :)

But I have a few questions...

I may be getting ahead of myself but I recently adopted a little girl who I was told may be pregnant. I don't know what to expect

She laid two clutches (right term???) recently but had been housed with a male since they rescued her a couple of months ago. I have been getting conflicting info so I though with the wealth of knowledge I would try here :)

She is under weight right now :( How can I put weight on her? I bought some horn worms and silk worms

So far I know (have been told) that it is super important to make sure she gets her calcium/vitamins. I have calcium powder.

How will I know if/when she will lay eggs?
What do I have to do? Someone said to get an incubator and vermiculite???

Sorry so many questions, Thanks in advance for any help

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi There and welcome aboard.
Chances are she will lay again. I would start by reading the breeding article on this forum. As for putting on wieght hornworms are a good start. as well as super worms. Offer greens everyday as well. Let her eat all she wants bugs, greens, whatever, but let her eat. She will be ready to lay when she starts digging like theres no tommorow. At that point she needs to be put in a lay box. This can be a rubbermaid container with playsand. It does not need to be complex. She will dig a hole lay her eggs then bury them. If your going to try to hatch them you will need a incubator. If you dont want to simply freeze the eggs. Hope this is a help.

sxesweets

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks very much. Am going to start her on greens in the morning. With this situation should her diet have more protein or veg/greens?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I left some suggestions in the 2nd thread you started, how much to feed.
Janie
Welcome home by the way ;)

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello,

I highly recommend freezing the eggs. Breeding dragons isn't what it once was. You won't make your money back and placing dragons in good homes is next to impossible.

Pet stores aren't selling dragons like they used to, so it will be hard to get rid of them locally. Online is never a good way to sell dragons, too much competition.

Depending were you live, most expos in more populated areas are booked, and are already filled with beardies.

Whole sale is an option, but depending on what your dragons blood lines are, you won't make anything off the sale (if you can make one).

15 years ago we were selling normal dragons at $150 a piece. We had people putting money down on dragons before they hatched. At expos there was only one other person selling dragons (maybe two?). Now a normal dragon sells for like $15-$20 at expos and every other table sells dragons.

Tim

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
TheVirus said:
15 years ago we were selling normal dragons at $150 a piece. We had people putting money down on dragons before they hatched. At expos there was only one other person selling dragons (maybe two?). Now a normal dragon sells for like $15-$20 at expos and every other table sells dragons.

This is called supply and demand, economics 101...

Thanks for setting everyone straight Tim ;)

Latest posts