• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's happening with my Beardie?

Jacob M

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 9.5 year old male Beardie and recently he has been flipping on his back, but I've been giving him baths a lot lately, and that helped it it seems. But now, he suddenly wakes up from sleep and shakes his head in the air side to side. Is he having a stroke? If so what can I do?

Jacob M

Bearded Dragon Egg
Coils are NO GOOD --- get rid of it ---- I am posting info on UVB's and I would recommend you get it replaced ASAP-
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
How long has she been doing this? If you have any more questions please ask - I would get a 24" fixture for your tank --- and do not delay if shes flipping over -----------------
Thank you so much, I have a dome lamp for him, should I not use that? Or is there any type of bulb I can use with a dome lamp that is safe for bearded dragons

Jacob M

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can replace the coil w/ a 26 watt coil Reptisun it must be 6-8 inches from basking decor - I will send info on that one - I have not heard anything bad about that bulb yet just the 13 watt coils --

The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

If he continues to have issues I would get him into the vet -- here is a website to find a reptile vet
www.arav.org
Are you giving calcium D3 on his bugs or food?
I usually feed him crickets with calcium D3 powdered all over it, but he no longer eats anything I offer to him by hand, but when I'm gone, it appears he still eats as I still find fecal in his tank

Jacob M

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you feeding salads? He needs salads every day -- here is a website for nutrition and the reason hes not eating is because of the UVB -- the main purpose of the UVB is form the to be able to absorb calcium and if he does not have the proper UVB he will not absorb it thus the flipping over on the back head shaking neurological issues as well ----------------- get the UVB changed out immediately

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Variety of their diet is key as well--- I would be changing insects to dubia roaches you can get them from here along w/ good worms as well
www.dubiaroaches.com
I would offer silk worms as well they are a great staple feeder - if you order silk worms and get alot of the make sure you get chow to feed them as they will eat alot
www.https://reptilianarts.com/
BSFL they are another great staple feeder you dont need to dust them
https://symtonbsf.com/
Thanks so much!

Latest posts