• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is normal?

Phunmusicphan

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We got what we were told was a 1 year old dragon. He is cool but kinda grumpy. He will let me pick him up and hold him for about 10 min. Then he gets pissed. His beard gets black and he will hiss alot. I put him back in his tank and it takes him a wile to calm down. He will Bob his head at the glass and hiss at his reflection. When we put him in the bath he will poop but then get pissed and want to get out. After holding him he will crawl up on my shoulder but then he gets pissed. We have had him about three weeks. Will he calm down? Is he just grumpy? I would like to not be worried that we are stressing him by holding him. I also don't want to worry that he is going to run away because he hates us. The person we got him from said they had not bonded him to them yet. Whatever that means. I have two kids and I want him to be abel to chill with us. Am I asking too much? Do we need to rehome and find a chill dragon? Help?

Ben Rivera

Hatchling Dragon
He sounds like my cousin! Seriously, you're going to gradually have to earn his trust because we don't know what he went through. I would try to feed him by hand and interact with him daily by light petting. The pooping in the water and him wanting to get out is normal as mine does the same. I'd also introduce the kids during the process. Mine was a bit squeamish at first but now she likes the interaction after a month.

Phunmusicphan

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I can feed him by hand a little. He loves Phenix worms. One day he will gladly take them some days not. He does not like the vitamin or calcium powder. With out the powders he gobbles them up takes everyone from hand. He will sit on the chest of the kids for a out five min befor he gets upset. I thought it might take time. Am I doing the wrong thing by putting him back in his tank if he gets upset? Seems if I don't he just gets more upset. I have read that stress is bad for them. Don't want to hurt him somehow.

Ben Rivera

Hatchling Dragon
I would put him back in because you don't want him to get stressed. As far as the vitamins or calcium powders go, I know they sell vitamins in a spray option but I can not claim to how effective they are. I'd give it some time but I would stay the course and interact with him as much as possible. I'd also try to diversify his greens and protein to ensure that he is getting the proper nutrients.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He could still be adjusting. Just limit the length of time you hold him and gradually add time to it. You could put something in his tank that has your scent on it so he can get used to it. What worked with my boy was I would hold him at night before his lights went out. Right before bed time they usually have their guard down because they are sleepy.

As far as the bugs go, I'm not sure about the spray calcium but you can always make sure you gut load your bugs with lots of veggies and greens and your beardie will get some of the nutrients that way.

Phunmusicphan

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Does he look thin? If I had to guess it looks like he eats about a quarter cup of Cale and or fruit like Apple or strawberry. Then he eats 15 to 20 Phenix worms also. Here are some pics. I think we are going to take him to a vet for a look over. I think he is health just want a professional to check him over.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
From your photos I would say he looks OK weight wise. He's eating really good! Fruit should be not an every day item. Kale is OK but again not every day. Try to mix it up with some other greens. Mine like arugula and cress. We've also done dandelion, beat greens, mustard greens

Latest posts