• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is a ....

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Been doing some "light" reading on dragon morphs. Can someone tell me in lamens terms what is an "ice hypo leatherback het trans"? The way I understand it is that the dragon would both carry and display ice and leatherback traits...not necessarily passing those on to young. The "het trans" meaning the dragon does not display transparency yet does carry it and may pass it on to young. Is this basically right?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "ice" term is a made up term by what ever breeder your hearing this from. This is the same thing with tiger, cayenne red, cawly red, super citrus, sand fire, etc... These breeders are simply putting an added hyped up word to make there dragons seem more exotic.

Leather back is a trait that if it is visable in a parent. It will carry on to the offspring in two forms. Some will be visible for the genetic defect and the ones that dont show the defect will be called het for this disorder.

"Het" means they carry the genetic disorder but are not visual. This does not carry on to offspring unless the opposite mate is also either het or a visual for the same disorder.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Oh thank you :) This means that "double het" means that both parents were "het" (trait not visible) and this offspring basically got a "double dose" of that particular trait? I know that the leatherback trait is considered by most to be a desirable trait, however there is debate as to the desirability of the silkback trait...some saying that the fragility of both the skin and the dragon as a whole would outway the appearance. Being a breeder must be just exhausting lol...

Latest posts