• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waking A Sleeping Beardie

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Is it okay to wake a beardie when they're sleeping in the evening? Willow generally goes to sleep between 4-5pm, and she was snoozing when I came home today so I woke her gently to see if she wanted to come out for a handling session. She looked alert and climbed on to my hand then went to sleep for a while on my chest, now i've put her back in it looks like she's having trouble sleeping, her eyes keep opening when normally she goes into a deep sleep.
Have I disturbed her sleep pattern?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my guys are on from 7 am to 9 pm normally and they know when its time to sleep. the basically shut down and it stresses them out to wake them during these times. i have one that will bite you if you wake her.
it's my opinion that once they go down, leave them down. if their lights are still on and they are just napping, and its not close to their normal shut off time, you should be ok.

Mountain Bearded Dragons

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine knows when she is going to sleep because at 9 or so she stretches out and lays there and waits for me to turn the light off

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
mine kno's when it's time 4 sleep as well. he's got 3 favorite positions, he chooses 1 a lil bit b4 his lights shut off, every night!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie wakes up 8 A.M. goes to bed at 9 P.M. I take his fleece blankets, let him crawl around on me before bed, then he'll find a nice spot on me-chest, shoulder, my neck, cuddle up, and go to sleep. I'll cover him up in his fleece blankets and he'll snooze on me. Then I put him back in his viv on his bed. He sleeps on a bed I made out of foam and a pillow sham.

DanniTheExotic

Hatchling Dragon
My juvenile dragon does this a lot if I accidently wake him up, but instead of trying to get back to sleep, he'll try get out, clawing at the glass trying to get out again. It's probably best to leave them alone when they're sleeping and only get them out when they're awake and alert. :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. I've had to wake mine up. I've added two blankets to his bed-a fleece and a flannel baby blankets. Keeps him warm. Since he's warm, he'll sleep now til about 9-10 A.M. :)

Sissy Anne

Bearded Dragon Egg
Queso is on a much earlier schedule. He wakes up by 7am, and falls asleep about 5 or 6pm. He's near a window, and even if his light is on, he'll fall asleep when the sun goes down. So, I started matching his light timer with the approximate sunrise/sunset times in our area. Once he's out, he doesn't wake up. If I have him out of his enclosure after 5pm, he curls up and goes to sleep on me (which is really cute cuz he's a snuggler).

Latest posts