• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very new to beardies...

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
My name is Asia. I work at a petstore that sells beardies. One was brought back because it was so poorly taken cared of and they thought it was dead. I tried with the help of a woman who is well educated in the area of reptiles included beardies. Unfortunately the little guy was too far malnourished and died. I decided from that experiance that I wanted to get a healthy one and give it the LONG and HEALTHY life it deserves. I am learning so any tip or advice is welcomed!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF2.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
People shouldn't be allowed to buy a beardie and then mistreat it!! We, as owners, have the responsibility to provide and maintain the proper environment for an animal that lives in the Australian desert....This is good forum with lots of very wise 'beardie' people. You will learn a ton of information here so come back often!! :p

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
pet stores should require a person to bring the lizard back after two weeks to check up on it care, somthing should be done. i get tired of people KILLING these wonderful creatures.

im glad you have interest in bearded dragons. i hope u learn and make a great home for one

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
I so agree with both of you!!!! I wish there was some way to regulate sales. If it were my personal petstore I would sell only to serious sellers. I love the company I worked for but I went to another store that is not mine to get him and the sales lady didnt even ask me any basic care questions. My store is alot more proactive and have refused sales in the past but bad things still happen. I cried and cried when the little one died even though I cared for it for only a couple of days. It makes me furious that people can CHOOSE to not value a life. (reguardless if its a human or something as small as a beardie) Anyways changing the from the subject of my rant.....I have been learning TONS! I got a thermometer with a probe and checked my heating and my cool side and it was perfection. I then pulled him out to interact and low and behold he has begun shedding. His appetite has increased also. Due to this forum and its insight I have learned so much and have gained tons of confidence in my care for him. Thankyou for being here!!!! :)

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
I was devastated after buying a sick dragon from petsmart (Wasn't aware he was sick) and bonding with him, then having to bring him back. Luckily a got to deal with a breeder and i now have a great little guy. I think reptiles shouldn't be in big chain pet stores, they don't know their stuff. I've learned more on this forum than any pet store

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
I work at petsmart. I think that if Petsmart were to continue to cary reptiles they should have a more consistant and deeper knoweledge on each species. My store is very very good in that area but that was the point I was making. I went to another petsmart and they didnt ask any questions or offer any knoweledge. I wish it was more regulated. Our sick reptiles go to a local reptile vet but I cant say that for all pet chain stores. Our manager is very passionate reguarding and reptiles which is a blessing and an asset to have. I just wish that were the case at all stores. :(

Pat B

Super Moderator
You wwork for a rare petstore....keep up the good work. the pet store that i go to is terrible! their bearded dragons are kept ina nasty tiny enclosure and it is never clean! so sad

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
I know everybody is entitled to their opinion which is the beautiful thing about having a forum like this but I partially disagree/ partially agree. I think some stores do care but all dont. I went to a local reptile specialty shope and was so discouraged by the things I heard. It doesnt always matter if its a big chain or not. The guy at the local shop said he needed to not feed the reptile for a couple days but make sure to play with it a whole lot. Seriously? Then he told me the maximum amount of veggies I needed to give my beardie was an occasional leaf of romain but make sure its a real small piece. I though surely this store will be awesome because its a speciatly privately owned store. I am discovering very quickly that you better for darn sure you research what your told because sometimes it doesnt matter what kind of petstore in the end. I am indeed grateful for this forum and the FEW people I have that I can talk to face to face.

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
No kidding!!!!! The thing about the feeding and handling was a customer in front of me. And the veggie comment was for me because I asked about roaches. I disreguarded that info and went straight home to feed him.....veggies. He ate carrot shreds to be exact. Friday.....it will be greens. I heard they love dandelion greens.

Latest posts