• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

vermiculite or hatchrite, Egg help.

Troy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So... Here we go...

Ok, So on May 10th my female Bearded Dragon laid her first ever clutch of 13 egg's 5 of 'em were bad right off the bat. The rest was fine but started molding and trying out. I only have four left out of that clutch.... June 9th she laid her 2nd clutch of 16 eggs, All of 'em looked great but did the same thing. Only 5 of those are good.

Now I'm using Hatchrite and it's dry when I pour it from the bag. I didn't wet it the first time I used it with the first clutch. I did wet it with the 2nd. IDK, It sucks to me, Any input on weather I should keep using it or get vermiculite.

Her next clutch is due around July 7th.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven't a lot of experience with breeding or incubating, one of mine laid fertile eggs on May 9th, my first time, as I generally don't let mine breed, but they slipped one in on me while my Daughter was Critter sitting. She laid 31 eggs, I really wasn't very careful digging them out, some were damaged in the laying & burying process & I damaged some digging them out. On a whim, I candled one & it appeared to be fertile, checked the rest with the same result. kept 19 that looked in better shape, 1 went bad right off the hop, 2 haven't grown much in size at all, but 16 still look good today & I just have them in KFC Chicken Bowl containers on 'Perlite' in a makeshift homemade incubator. Anyway, the Perlite is working quite well for me. Story & updates here ...

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/sandy-laid-again-pic-heavy.5832/#axzz1zCSQPFGC

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So... Here we go...

Ok, So on May 10th my female Bearded Dragon laid her first ever clutch of 13 egg's 5 of 'em were bad right off the bat. The rest was fine but started molding and trying out. I only have four left out of that clutch.... June 9th she laid her 2nd clutch of 16 eggs, All of 'em looked great but did the same thing. Only 5 of those are good.

Now I'm using Hatchrite and it's dry when I pour it from the bag. I didn't wet it the first time I used it with the first clutch. I did wet it with the 2nd. IDK, It sucks to me, Any input on weather I should keep using it or get vermiculite.

Her next clutch is due around July 7th.
I'm not familiar with hatchrite, but whatever you use needs to be fairly damp. The best turnout I've personally had was using vermiculite.

Troy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks guys, Today I went out to Lowes and got a bag of Vermiculite to try on her next clutch. Hopefully it works better, Hatchrite sucks in my Opinion. #Germ hope they hatch healthy babies man.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, the next few weeks will tell the tale, the homemade incubator has been phenomenal at keeping the humidity & temps even, much better than the stories I've read about hovabators & the like. Going to check them now, will post pics in the other thread.

Kenny2605

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My beardie wifey layed eggs on the 10th of July and seem to be doing really well I'm using vermiculite as well that seems to be doing the job but can I ask you guys what should the humidity be set at?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie wifey layed eggs on the 10th of July and seem to be doing really well I'm using vermiculite as well that seems to be doing the job but can I ask you guys what should the humidity be set at?
Congrats! I never worried about the exact humidity levels, just put them in a container with damp vermiculite and left a corner cracked and stuck them in the incubator. Sorry, not a professional breeder, just taking care of babies when I happened upon them.

Latest posts