• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Veggies suitable for everyday in the uk

jazznut92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hiya, so I've seen several lists of suitable veggies but the every day staples I can't really figure out. I live in the uk, I have never seen collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens or dandelions in the shops. When looking on google it says endive and chicory are the same thing but the chicory I bought looks nothing like what the beautiful dragon (can't remember if that's the correct name) picture shows.
I have curly kale for him but don't want to feed him the same thing every day, I would like to buy him different greens every week.

Can he have the leaves from around a cauliflower?
Spring greens?
Cress? (Little ones that you would have In an egg sandwich)

Any other suggestions for everyday greens would be great, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For the UK I found the following in another forum;

1. Salad Cress
2. Watercress
3. Lambs Lettuce
4. Spring Greens
5. Curly Kale
6. Red Pepper
7. Butternut Squash
8. Rocket

I read that watercress can cause Diarrhea so be careful on the amounts with that one!

jazznut92

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is brilliant little list! Thanks Elders! This has helped lots. My research must be rubbish, I have looked before posting [emoji85] obvs not in the right places lol
Can I ask what forum you found this on please?

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This is brilliant little list! Thanks Elders! This has helped lots. My research must be rubbish, I have looked before posting [emoji85] obvs not in the right places lol
Can I ask what forum you found this on please?

I'll need to pull it up again, unfortunately I'm about to take off to work right now. I'll update later today after work. All I did was Google, "veggies for bearded dragons in the UK." And searched around. It was reptile forum or some thing like that. I'll post the url later.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good point we will see about gathering information on greens that are available for our UK folks as most of us are in the states.. So If I could inlist in anyone from the UK to add inpt we can add that to our general info links..
@PatsyB what do you think?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I know rocket is something that is used in the UK. As far as the endive goes...the one you found is safe! I just learned that what we call "Belgium Endive" in Belgium is actually called chinese kale and when I looked it up it's actually chicory! Learn something new every day.

Spring greens is what we consider collards.

I'm going to see if my friend in the UK can give me some good ideas.

SusieQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
Rocket and Kale are only treats as they can bind calcium, so I stick to spring greens and occasional red pepper. Lettuce is mainly water and has no nutritional value at all. You can get bags of salad greens called crispy, which contains endive but I take out lambs lettuce.

jazznut92

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is not keen on Spring greens :( but loves kale. That's typical. Yes I was going to ask about bags of salads, I get one bag which just has green leaf and red leaf 'multi-leaf' lettuce, can this be used often? And why do you take out the lambs lettuce?

SusieQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
As lettuce has no nutritional value at all. Mine wasn't keen on Spring greens at all but you have to persevere they won't starve themselves. It's been a few months but mine has just started eating it. They're very stubborn but you just have to be strong and do what's best for them. I vary what I add to it. Some day red pepper, some days yellow and other days a grape cut up.

jazznut92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah he will eat the spring greens for the first few days but then goes off it, I'm just not sure if his getting enough greens. I some times get the bag of 'crispy' from my local shop so can get them for him next

Sarah-Jane

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm in the UK and have wondered the same thing. Mine has been having rocket, kale and cress but wasn't keen on lambs lettuce or spring greens. I was worried he is not getting enough green stuff and would get bored. I did find mixing in some bluberries or carrot encouraged him.

Latest posts