• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Veggie greens ???

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What is the best type of greens could I give my beardie everyday with different type of fruit I've so far stuck with collard greens and kale.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I use collards, mustard greens,turnip greens and dandelion greens as staples. Mungi prefers collards best. Fruits really should not be a staple everyday thing but used as treats. I use strawberrys, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries but only a few and only every couple of weeks or so.
There are a variety of squashes, green beans and other veggies that you can use for variety but I would steer you away from trying to use too much variety in feeding their "salad". Find a few good staples such as the collards you are using and stick with a basic salad. Dragons as well as other reptiles tend to be very leery about a lot of change and you will find better results in their eating things they are familiar with.
If you will look under the Bearded Dragon Diet section there is a very good pinned thread that will take you to a great list of things you can try.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Enjoy

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie loves turnip and mustard greens the best. (She doesn't really like Collards much.)

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
That the way mine is they love turnip and mustard greens the best

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is the Turnip leaves (Greens) that you are supposed to feed, not the vegetable itself ;), so you would cut the leaves to appropriate sizes, as you would any other greens.

Collard Greens are actually one of the better choices because of it's quite high Calcium to Phosphorous ratio compare to others.

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok I know for a fact she like collard greens and mustard greens so I'll stick to them thanks everyone :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Go Reggie!! You might also try to sneak in some green beans. My Spike liked them for a while but he isn't really a good greens/veggie eater! :D

ize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardies like green food. The darker the better. Lettuce is useless as it has no nutritional value at all. My mob love spinach and green beans. One of them will try to eat a tree on a book cover and he once tried to eat a green floor tile. Meal worms are very fattening to beardies and they can become addicted to them so i only give them to mine occasionally as a treat or if they need padding out.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I've read it's actually not good to give your dragon too much spinach, if at all. Same goes with my feeder roaches. I think it has to do with the really high vitamin A content, kinda like carrots.

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You're right it's not good at all to give your beardie spinach it can make them really sick

ize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Mine have been eating it for 10 years and they have never been sick.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
My great aunt smoked until she was 88, when she died in a car accident. I'm not trying to bum you out or anything, just saying that there are exceptions to every rule. I've also heard the comment "I've kept all of my dragons on crushed walnut shells, and never had problems." The bottom line is vitamin A binds to calcium, and spinach is high in vitamin A. This renders the calcium less effective, and dragons need calcium.

I'm happy to hear your dragons have been fine, but I have to say again, EVERYTHING I have read compares spinach to cheeseburgers, i.e. a very rare treat, if to be fed at all. Actually a cheeseburger sounds good... be back later! :D

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol you should bring me back one but yes that's why I changed my beardies food I gave her spinach at first and noticed she wouldn't eat crix dusted and when I put her on turnip greens, collard greens, kale, and mustard greens I saw a huge improvement in her and now she's a active chunky little girl it's awesome

ize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah you guys easily jump on things that aren't there. I didn't say they eat spinach all the time. I said its one of their favourites. They have a varied diet with regular supplements - at the recommended dosage before you jump all over me for that. I have 9 beardies at the moment and a few more that have passed of old age. Im not a novice

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
But the original question was: "What is the best type of greens I can feed my bearded dragon everyday?" I didn't jump on you, I responded to both of your statements. GroomerMo, unlike you, is a novice and will take your advice to heart, if she assumed you were answering her question. Thanks for clarifying, albeit in a dubious fashion. :D

ize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok sorry i see what you mean reading back. my bad. first forum i ever joined.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
No worries at all, and definitely no hard feelings (hope you feel the same)! Some of us can get a bit passionate about our hobby, but I promise you it's not to make others walk away with hurt feelings, it's out of care that we have for our dragons. :)

Latest posts