• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB and calcium question

frank1011

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!

Finally upgraded Frank's tank to a 36 x 18 x 18 exo-terra. Got that along with a zoomed 30 inch hood with 24 inch reptiglo 10.0 T8 bulb. Everything together was $90
- score!!! He is about 3 months old and growing fast so I'm glad he is into his long term enclosure now.

Anyway I was wondering with that particular UVB set up - should I be giving him calcium with D3 or without?

Also as far as basking lights - he has a 100 watt regular basking bulb and can get pretty close to it when he wants (maybe 6-8 inches). Do you think that will be enough to heat a tank that size?

Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have the same exact set up. You will want him to get 4-6 inches from the UVB light because the mesh screen blocks out a lot of the UVB. The 100 watt basking bulb should be okay. Use a digital probe thermometer and attach it right to the basking spot the temp should be between 105-110. You're room temp and tank placement is also going to determine if the 100 watt is enough or too much. I have 2 of the same tanks, same setup on a wire shelving unit. The bottom tank has a 150 watt basking bulb and the temp is 110. The top tank with a 150 watt bulb gets the basking spot to about 125! Each have wood as their basking spot and the top tank is only about 1/2 inch taller than the other.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I do without but once a week I do a multivitamin that has it mixed in.

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
Patsy,
Isn't 125 degrees too hot? I used to stack my adult's tanks too and could get by with 100 on bottom and 65 up top in the summer time and 150/100 in winter. It gets cold here in Chicago! lol. but anyways...have you ever tried 100watt on top and see if that changes things?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Patsy,
Isn't 125 degrees too hot? I used to stack my adult's tanks too and could get by with 100 on bottom and 65 up top in the summer time and 150/100 in winter. It gets cold here in Chicago! lol. but anyways...have you ever tried 100watt on top and see if that changes things?
Yes 125 is WAY too hot! I tried a 75 watt and it gets to 115. I'm currently playing with a 60 watt, we are around 100. But I may try again with the 75 since winter arrived yesterday!

It's been a long time....how's Henry and Stella?

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
Yes 125 is WAY too hot! I tried a 75 watt and it gets to 115. I'm currently playing with a 60 watt, we are around 100. But I may try again with the 75 since winter arrived yesterday!

It's been a long time....how's Henry and Stella?

They're both really great..we've been using FB pages for a while and been super busy and my laptop broke a while back, then Stella had two clutches I've raised and sold :) I have plenty of pics from all of it, just hate using the app to post it all.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well glad to see you back. It's nice to see some old familiar faces around here :)

Latest posts