• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVA, CHE or both?

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
How important is it to have a UVA if I have a CHE for the basking area. I also have a UVB. I am asking because I see some setups where they only have a halogen flood light along with the UVB.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I can only share from my personal experience, I use a 100 watt basking bulb with uva and a reptisun 10 desert UVB bulb. I'm not home at the moment so when I get home I'll check the box (uvb). This has worked well for mine, I have 2 that are 10 yrs old and 6 that are 7 yrs old .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
I can only share from my personal experience, I use a 100 watt basking bulb with uva and a reptisun 10 desert UVB bulb. I'm not home at the moment so when I get home I'll check the box (uvb). This has worked well for mine, I have 2 that are 10 yrs old and 6 that are 7 yrs old .

I want to make sure that I am doing right by our beardie. I was told that he needed a UVB and a basking temp and I could use a CHE for that. I have read post on other forums, that state to use a flood light. I cannot imagine that a Home Depot flood bulb gives off UVA spectrum.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Like I said I've only used basking lights that had uva in them. You can get them at petsmart or petco a bulb will cost about $11 and lasts about 5-6 months, uvb gets changed once a year, good luck with your guy

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I honestly don't know how to answer this. It's always been accepted that for basking lights that a Par38 halogen bulb is a good cheap alternative to reptile basking bulbs. I don't really know what the UVA output is. You really want a white basking bulb in the day to mimic the bright sun that they would get in nature.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The idea is you want to mimic natural sunlight best as possible.. UVB and a basking light as they need both to digest and to metabolize nutrients from their food.

Xoek

Bearded Dragon Egg
First post here, I searched halogen and clicked on the first link. What wattage for a home depot halogen bulb would you say is good for a 40 gallon breeder tank? The bulb would be in one of those metal dome fixtures I picked up from Walmart sitting on the metal screen top

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
First post here, I searched halogen and clicked on the first link. What wattage for a home depot halogen bulb would you say is good for a 40 gallon breeder tank? The bulb would be in one of those metal dome fixtures I picked up from Walmart sitting on the metal screen top

I've used a 90 watt in my 40 gallon tanks. I've never used a MVB bulb in any of my tanks. I like having the UVB spread across the whole tank rather than just being in a small area. I have used Solar Glo's in my moth breeding cage. I didn't really like them too much. I didn't feel like they gave me the heat I needed. I think the common one people use is the Power Sun bulb.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Yep I've used that in the past, but for me personally I now only use a 100 watt basking bulb with uva and a separate uvb reptisun 10 desert

Xoek

Bearded Dragon Egg
Cool, thanks guys. Quick question, can I post pics from my phone's gallery? I was trying earlier, but I was at work and couldn't figure it out

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool, thanks guys. Quick question, can I post pics from my phone's gallery? I was trying earlier, but I was at work and couldn't figure it out
When I use my phone I use taptalk and that works just fine.. just know that in taptalk our links don't show up for the general care info

Kris King

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi.

I've kept bearded dragons for 15 years (my last two lived till 14 years old) and I have only ever used a ceramic heat emitter attached to a digital thermostat, and an Arcadia UVB strip light on a digital timer. You don't need to replicate natural light as there is plenty of that produce naturally (unless they are in a room without windows), plus the UVB will give out considerable light too.

Kris.