• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Twitching/spasm??

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
So my 3 year-old beardie Cassian is doing this small twitch when I touch the top side of his hip bone just above the tail (circled in green). The twitch happens in a small area on the left side of his belly (size and area of the twitch is circled in red). It seems like an involuntary twitch, maybe he’s hurting in that spot above his hips or maybe it’s similar to when a human’s eye twitches?? Somebody help please!!

Attachments

• B8782B9A-DFE9-4AF6-AD27-679C8FB7250C.jpeg
    B8782B9A-DFE9-4AF6-AD27-679C8FB7250C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 193

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my 3 year-old beardie Cassian is doing this small twitch when I touch the top side of his hip bone just above the tail (circled in green). The twitch happens in a small area on the left side of his belly (size and area of the twitch is circled in red). It seems like an involuntary twitch, maybe he’s hurting in that spot above his hips or maybe it’s similar to when a human’s eye twitches?? Somebody help please!!
Has he pooped or having difficulty pooping? What are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube? Where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps ? What are they and how are you taking them? What are you feeding?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He only does it when u touch him? If thats the case then he’s probably fine, Have you ever touched a cats back lightly and their whole back twitches, beardies kinda do the same things, their very sensitive to touch. If hes twitching randomly, he could have a hard poo coming, what bugs does he eat? Its important that they get nonChitiness bugs in their diet (hornworms, waxworms, bsfl, anything without a hard shell) these help keep stool moving.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Twitching and tremors is a sign of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). He needs calcium and the correct UVB (Reptisun 10.0 T5) & the UVB replacing every 6Mnths or the Beardie will get MBD. Replace the UVB every 6Mnths; it’s a long tubular bulb and the length I order should cover 70 percent of the tank. This Reptisun 10.0 T5 Is the best and most recommended UVB for Beardies. Never order the 5.0’ot gives little to No UVB. U can help & minimize Amd help the dragon by ordering the Reptisun and give him calcium powder 4times a week dusted into the feeders or sprinkled on the veggies/greens once per day & lots of good protein/calcium like crickets and Dubia roaches to help strength their bones and yellow squash has lots of calcium as well.

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
Has he pooped or having difficulty pooping? What are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube? Where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps ? What are they and how are you taking them? What are you feeding?
He’s been pooping a lot recently so no problem there, but there’s always a lot of liquid along with the poop. but the poop itself is well formed and solid, as is the urate. I’m attaching a picture of the setup... it’s a little boring but this summer i’m going to switch it over to a naturalistic enclosure with cocoa fiber substrate once I’m 100% sure I can do it correctly. As of right now, the tube bulb is a T5 10.0, the far right basking bulb is a mega-ray MVB bulb and the bulb right next to it is a standard basking bulb, but it doesn’t get too hot. I measure the UVB output with a solarmeter and measure the temps with a temp gun. He gets a salad every day made of mostly mustard greens, turnip greens, or collard greens and sprinkled with some yellow squash or butternut squash or sweet potato or blueberries, all in small amounts. every three days he gets several large dubia roaches and liquid calcium

Attachments

• 576F347C-DA89-48B7-9D2B-8F68B1751E92.jpeg
    576F347C-DA89-48B7-9D2B-8F68B1751E92.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 184

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
Twitching and tremors is a sign of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). He needs calcium and the correct UVB (Reptisun 10.0 T5) & the UVB replacing every 6Mnths or the Beardie will get MBD. Replace the UVB every 6Mnths; it’s a long tubular bulb and the length I order should cover 70 percent of the tank. This Reptisun 10.0 T5 Is the best and most recommended UVB for Beardies. Never order the 5.0’ot gives little to No UVB. U can help & minimize Amd help the dragon by ordering the Reptisun and give him calcium powder 4times a week dusted into the feeders or sprinkled on the veggies/greens once per day & lots of good protein/calcium like crickets and Dubia roaches to help strength their bones and yellow squash has lots of calcium as well.
I replied to Sadie’s response with a photo of the setup and everything... maybe i’m not giving him enough calcium. Last time I took him to the vet his calcium levels were way too high so she gave me a calcium syrup to give every few days, only about 0.3ml. I still haven’t used up the whole bottle but he does get plenty of yellow squash

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
He only does it when u touch him? If thats the case then he’s probably fine, Have you ever touched a cats back lightly and their whole back twitches, beardies kinda do the same things, their very sensitive to touch. If hes twitching randomly, he could have a hard poo coming, what bugs does he eat? Its important that they get nonChitiness bugs in their diet (hornworms, waxworms, bsfl, anything without a hard shell) these help keep stool moving.
yes he’s only been doing it when I touched him, but the other day I noticed that after I took my hand away it twitched once or twice again then stopped. he gets large dubia roaches every few days and i’m working on breeding BSFL so I can feed them more

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He’s been pooping a lot recently so no problem there, but there’s always a lot of liquid along with the poop. but the poop itself is well formed and solid, as is the urate. I’m attaching a picture of the setup... it’s a little boring but this summer i’m going to switch it over to a naturalistic enclosure with cocoa fiber substrate once I’m 100% sure I can do it correctly. As of right now, the tube bulb is a T5 10.0, the far right basking bulb is a mega-ray MVB bulb and the bulb right next to it is a standard basking bulb, but it doesn’t get too hot. I measure the UVB output with a solarmeter and measure the temps with a temp gun. He gets a salad every day made of mostly mustard greens, turnip greens, or collard greens and sprinkled with some yellow squash or butternut squash or sweet potato or blueberries, all in small amounts. every three days he gets several large dubia roaches and liquid calcium
The liquid water in the poop is normal/ok. The liquid calcium is not the Best Buy REPCAL from petco and sprinkle the feeders every other day once per day with the calcium powder & shake it in a ziplock bag then feed. On a non calcium day use/sprinkle once per week/dat with HERPTIVITE it’s a vitamin powder. Also a Beardie needs a CLEAR Zoomed basking bulb for Heat Amd a UVB long tubular light (Reptisun 10.0 T5) for UVB. Remove the mercury bulb it’s deadly Amd gets so hot and Beardie needs to be 16imches away Amd u wud bot need that & the uVb long strip that’s overkill. Place the zoomed clear basking heat lamp rite above the basking platform. And the UVB is great ; u got the 10.0 T5 which is correct; just make sure to replace it religiously every 6Mnths because after 6Mnths the UVb light stops emitting UVB even tho it still turns on. Also for proteins do crickets also alongside Dubias & once in a while as treats; only if he’s over 1.5 hrs old u can give him some superworms but in moderation coz it’s high I’m Fat. The veggies/greens u give him are great a huge plate everyday for life placed on the cold side & u can give him some blueberries, mangoes and papayas a few times a week also as treats.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I replied to Sadie’s response with a photo of the setup and everything... maybe i’m not giving him enough calcium. Last time I took him to the vet his calcium levels were way too high so she gave me a calcium syrup to give every few days, only about 0.3ml. I still haven’t used up the whole bottle but he does get plenty of yellow squash
When u give calcium it’s should be only 3-4 times a week & once once per day lightly dusted/sprinkled like salt on fries. The best calcium powder is REPCAL the one from petco here is a photo and Herptivite once/week per day on a noncalcium day. Baths twice per week and more when shedding in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum and water level to his hind legs and way below his neck & place Reptisafe drops if u don’t have a filter system. Chlorine is bad for Beardies it dries their skin out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 187

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
When u give calcium it’s should be only 3-4 times a week & once once per day lightly dusted/sprinkled like salt on fries. The best calcium powder is REPCAL the one from petco here is a photo and Herptivite once/week per day on a noncalcium day. Baths twice per week and more when shedding in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum and water level to his hind legs and way below his neck & place Reptisafe drops if u don’t have a filter system. Chlorine is bad for Beardies it dries their skin out.
thank you so much i’m going to order the repcal and herptivite right now and don’t worry I do use reptisafe with all the water I use for him

Latest posts