• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

'Twitching' like he's about to poop. A sign of impaction??

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thor has been squirming on occasion when I've been holding him (though never when the video camera is pointed at him)

It doesn't look like an MBD twitch, but more of a shuffling squirm like when he's about to poop. He has a repticarpet floor and hasn't been around any sand or anything like that the entire time I've had him.

Also, he hasn't pooped yet today (6pm right now) and he has always pooped once if not twice a day.

Could this be a sign of impaction??

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I do not know about the 'twitching', but other than that, I wouldn't worry if he does not poop for a day. My little girl Baby usually poops every day, but there are those odd times when she does not poop for a day.

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When he's in his little tub for his baths, sometimes he'll prop himself up in the corner and poop, and sometimes he'll shake his butt a little to help.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would give him a bath. What is his diet like? What salad and proteins are he eating?

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I gave him a nice warm soak, but got no poop tonight.

He's getting plenty of crickets (dusted in the morning, giving him the entire day about 8-10 inches beneath a ReptiSun 10 tube) and he eats up most of his kale/strawberry/blueberry salad every day (with kale being the main part of the salad). I'm gonna try him on squash again this weekend. He didn't seem too wild about it last weekend. (took a single nibble and then went straight for his kale)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Slyder does this a lot, its just how he poops. It reminds me of a dog looking for the perfect spot to poop, if he does not like that spot or something is not to his liking he will stop pooping and just hold it until things are perfect. He has to have a spotless viv to poop, no cricket dust, greens out of the bowl or even a speck of poop that may have been misses on a quick clean.

try some unseasoned pumpkin in a can if he will not eat the squash. Another thing that gets my guys pooping good is red bell peppers, they love them...gobble them up then eat their greens. Cucumbers are high in water, they both seem to like it and gives them very loose poop.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so just a thought, if they are having trouble pooping and a bath doesnt seem to be helping, could u try iceberg lettuce just for the "effect" to help?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would stay away from that just b/c it is on the no feed list. I stick to things that are on the "good" list but help poop. I don't think it would hurt to try but once again just my opinion is no. You can puree the squash and syringe feed it.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would also like to add, kale should be offered occasionally, not everyday, because it binds with calcium. As for Thor pooping, give him another day to see what happens. If he does not poop within the next day, soak him again, and gently massage his stomach. I did that when Charlie was impacted and he left me a big surprise in the bathtub. :D

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so i guess you could use kiwi instead of lettuce to give them the runs then :p

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with limiting kale. Some other greens to use as a daily staple are collard greens, mustard greens, carrot tops, parsley to name a few. Here's a link to our caresheet. It lists more salad mixtures to try:
Bearded Dragon Care

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you, all, for the replies. I'm going to see if I can find mustard and/or collard greens to replace the kale.

The good news is that he pooped a big one today, and I have yet to see any squirms. :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Excellent! Isn't it funny how stoked we get over poops?

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Excellent! Isn't it funny how stoked we get over poops?
Lol, so true :)

Also, just to put it out there, I found a store that sells mustard greens, collard greens, endive, and dandelion greens tonight, so he'll be switched over to those starting tomorrow rather than the kale.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad everything is OK.

I found a store that sells mustard greens, collard greens, endive, and dandelion greens tonight

:( Youre so lucky, we dont have any of those realilly available here.

Latest posts