• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Twinner?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So... I have this huge egg from Cass' second clutch that is most definitely fertile, it keeps growing larger all the time. It's probably half the size of a chicken egg... I don't think I'm exaggerating. It is 2 and 1/4" long and 1 and 1/4" wide, circumference of egg taken from width: 3 and 1/4". It's the biggest beardie egg I've seen and completely dwarfs anything that's hatching right now and anything else in the 2nd clutch. It definitely is fertile... think I could have twins? Or am I too hopeful? It's far enough along I don't want to risk candling it to see if I can see two of them in there, but I honestly expected this egg to hatch before anything in the first clutch.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I need a better incubator. Any thoughts? This one goes based off of the ambient temperature, only raising it so much, and rarely keeps them at a steady temp, it always dips bad at night. This may not be the correct incubator for my clutches, and that may be why only 6 hatched out of the last batch. I noticed that the temps are always about ten degrees off from what the thermostat on it says as well. I have the exo terra mini refrigerator lookin thing. It also sucks at keeping the humidity.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope, have no idea, have never bred so am not experienced with them at all. If I ever accidentally have fertile eggs, I've toyed with the Idea of Mickey Mousing one together as an experiment.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Nope, have no idea, have never bred so am not experienced with them at all. If I ever accidentally have fertile eggs, I've toyed with the Idea of Mickey Mousing one together as an experiment.
Mickey Mousing? Not sure what you mean by that. I'm too much a softy. If they have a chance I want them to live. I am probably one of the worst people to have a pet accidentally have babies... luckily I don't have bunnies. I can't stand even causing harm to the eggs by neglect. I was so upset with every egg I lost! They could have went to a good home, but my equipment was faulty and I didn't even realize how faulty til I got my temp gun.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is a way to make one out of regular cooler or a styrofoam one, a submersible aquarium heater, a grill or platform to place the eggs on, etc. Once set up, if it isn't frequently opened would keep consistent heat & humidity. Wouldn't be any good for multiple clutches though. Like I said I don't have any experience with them so don't know how well it would work. If I got fertile eggs I would more than likely just freeze them.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Checking temps in this situation with a temp gun wouldn't be very reliable. The second you open the door, the majority of the hot air escapes affecting all the temps inside.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There is a way to make one out of regular cooler or a styrofoam one, a submersible aquarium heater, a grill or platform to place the eggs on, etc. Once set up, if it isn't frequently opened would keep consistent heat & humidity. Wouldn't be any good for multiple clutches though. Like I said I don't have any experience with them so don't know how well it would work. If I got fertile eggs I would more than likely just freeze them.
I appreciate your help, I've heard of that method but didn't think it would be real convenient... in my situation. Small space to work from unless I start going after kid spaces... which is why elianna can keep a beardie when I couldn't. It would take up too much room for multiple clutches. I understand why most would freeze them... I just couldn't. I also kept ones I knew were bad just in case they might hatch until I had to make room for Cleo's clutch. There would also be hot spots with the aquarium heater. I think I might be griping more than it's worth, I just want the little guys to have their best shot.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Checking temps in this situation with a temp gun wouldn't be very reliable. The second you open the door, the majority of the hot air escapes affecting all the temps inside.
That's why you check the temp of the substrate, where the heat wouldn't immediately escape.

Edit: I would imagine, anyway. That's what the temp gun said to do when you check incubation temps.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just a comment about the hot spots, I wouldn't think there would be, because the water would distribute it evenly across the whole bottom. I wasn't suggesting you doing it, I just said that I have toyed with the Idea. Not likely ever to become a reality ;).

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
oh my goodness even the thought of having twins or a 2 headed beardie wud be NUTS!!!! that wud be soooo neat!!!!! sorry 2 hear the incubator is being a pain, wish i had some useful knowledge 4 u on this subject, but i only have 1 beardie in my family, 4 now!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
oh my goodness even the thought of having twins or a 2 headed beardie wud be NUTS!!!! that wud be soooo neat!!!!! sorry 2 hear the incubator is being a pain, wish i had some useful knowledge 4 u on this subject, but i only have 1 beardie in my family, 4 now!
It would be difficult for it to eat, among other things.

Here I thought I had bought the more expensive and reliable incubator. Wrong!

Latest posts