• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to get opinions on possible tail rot

caleblarson

Bearded Dragon Egg
So the other day my wife was bathing our beardie and he was he was shedding his tail it just about all came off in the bath and now he keeps it curled up while in his home and doesn’t seem to lay it down as often. We are worried that her helping him shed his tail or possible tail rot has caused this behavior. Any advice on this would be very much appreciated!
C3201CC6-9F0B-4828-85ED-D2A26E0A7228.jpeg

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, it does look like it is beginning to start. I would suggest applying some Neosporin. If It gets worse just say so and me or a different person can give further instructions.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
the Neosporin should help, but here are some other things you can do to make sure it doesn’t advance further. make sure he has proper lighting and he’s getting enough calcium. when you help him shed, don’t pull off the shedding skin, just give him a warm bath and if there is stuck shes, gently scrub with a toothbrush! another remedy for tail rot is a betadine water soak (3 parts betadine and 1 part water). soak the tail for at least five minutes and then apply neosporin! if it does get worse, i’d recommend going to a vet.

caleblarson

Bearded Dragon Egg
the Neosporin should help, but here are some other things you can do to make sure it doesn’t advance further. make sure he has proper lighting and he’s getting enough calcium. when you help him shed, don’t pull off the shedding skin, just give him a warm bath and if there is stuck shes, gently scrub with a toothbrush! another remedy for tail rot is a betadine water soak (3 parts betadine and 1 part water). soak the tail for at least five minutes and then apply neosporin! if it does get worse, i’d recommend going to a vet.
Thanks for the input! I put neosproin on it after we took that picture. Also I will go and get betadine as soon as I can to do that soak. I’ll provide a update for you all. Thanks for the help!

caleblarson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, it does look like it is beginning to start. I would suggest applying some Neosporin. If It gets worse just say so and me or a different person can give further instructions.
Thanks for the input! I put neosproin on it after we took that picture. Also I will go and get betadine as soon as I can to do that soak. I’ll provide a update for you all. Thanks for the help!

Flynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'd also like to add that baby beardies naturally have darker tails than adults - when I got mine at first I was convinced she had tail rot! Turns out it was just the coloring since she was a baby. :p Not saying this is what this is, but as long as temperatures are correct / they're properly cared for it's more likely that it's the coloring than tail rot. Keep us updated!

Latest posts