• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much food?

Trausch05

Hatchling Dragon
Hey so I just got a new bearded dragon his name is ember I adore him and he’s super super friendly he’s about 2 months old and he eats like a horse I’m worried I’m feeding him too much he gets about 30 bugs a day 20 small Dubia and 10 soilder fly larvae as well as a mixture of calcium power collard greens basil and bell peppers since I got him he just seems to have doubled in size and it’s mainly in his tummy lol he poops well 1 time a day normally sometimes 2. The 1st pic is when I first got him which was like a week ago
54BDF4F1-7AE3-4C67-A9F8-E5ED529EC3A3.jpeg
image.jpg

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
He seems to be doing alright. I wouldn't say you are feeding him too much. Usually you want to let them eat to their hearts content a couple times a day while they are growing. Sounds like you are in the right ballpark.

I also have an "Ember" but mine is a big female lol.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey so I just got a new bearded dragon his name is ember I adore him and he’s super super friendly he’s about 2 months old and he eats like a horse I’m worried I’m feeding him too much he gets about 30 bugs a day 20 small Dubia and 10 soilder fly larvae as well as a mixture of calcium power collard greens basil and bell peppers since I got him he just seems to have doubled in size and it’s mainly in his tummy lol he poops well 1 time a day normally sometimes 2. The 1st pic is when I first got him which was like a week ago View attachment 34096View attachment 34097
He looks good-please make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get surface basking temps-- 105-110 and a long tube fixture for a uvb NO coils please-- they are a health hazard and your dragon will not be able to synthesize or absorb the calcium your feeding- I can help w/ the uvb if you need it

Trausch05

Hatchling Dragon
He looks good-please make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get surface basking temps-- 105-110 and a long tube fixture for a uvb NO coils please-- they are a health hazard and your dragon will not be able to synthesize or absorb the calcium your feeding- I can help w/ the uvb if you need it
I think I have the right lighting but just to check He’s got a zoo med 10.0 uvb and 100 watt basking bulb I have a thermometer gun and his basking temp is abt 104 most days.

Trausch05

Hatchling Dragon
Also is it normal for him to not like ever get stressed I read a lot of younger dragon do and he seems totally chill with everything the only time I’ve ever even seen him get skiddish once he never bobs he Never gets stress marks never opens his mouth when I’m near or even moves when I put my hands in his enclosure is he just like a super cool dude or is he sick cus while I’m happy its strange for me cus I have a chameleon and I’m used to him and he HATES everyone

Trausch05

Hatchling Dragon
Also I’m sorry ik I have a lot of questions but any tips on getting him to drink water he HATES water idk why any time I try to give him a bath he freaks. As well as shedding is there anything I need to do with that or should I just let him do his thing

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
So each beardie is different. All 3 of mine were pretty chill from day 1, I would chalk that up to getting mine from reputable breeders that handled them. Your little guy does not look like you got him at a store either.

So for water they honestly get most of their hydration from the food they eat. With that said if you are concerned of dehydration (he doesn't look it in the images) a dropper or syringe full of room temp water constantly dripped on the tip of their nose will get pretty much every dragon to start drinking.

Trausch05

Hatchling Dragon
No i
So each beardie is different. All 3 of mine were pretty chill from day 1, I would chalk that up to getting mine from reputable breeders that handled them. Your little guy does not look like you got him at a store either.

So for water they honestly get most of their hydration from the food they eat. With that said if you are concerned of dehydration (he doesn't look it in the images) a dropper or syringe full of room temp water constantly dripped on the tip of their nose will get pretty much every dragon to start drinking.
I frequently go to reptile shows I got him from the cin city one he will drink occasionally and idk if it’s the same for bearded as chams but his urate is pure white so I figured that was a good sign but I just wanted to be sure he’s getting his hydration

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Yea you got a good looking lizard. Just think of where they naturally live. Central Australia for a vast majority in the pet market, so very hot and dry, water would be a rarity. You are correct on the urates.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I have the right lighting but just to check He’s got a zoo med 10.0 uvb and 100 watt basking bulb I have a thermometer gun and his basking temp is abt 104 most days.
Where is your uvb? Inside the tank or top of screen - the screen will determine where the uvb is placed and distanced

Latest posts