• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tokay Gecko Caresheet

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TOKAY GECKOS

The Tokay Gecko has a bad reputation for being mean and nasty. So, before you buy, ask yourself if you really want to own an animal that barks at you and tries to bite you and that you most likely will not handle. This isn’t your average docile gecko. And definitely not a “first pet”.

There are hours upon hours of study, observation and fascination with these amazing geckos. However, they should not be for the inexperienced keeper.

HANDLING

Tokays, unlike most geckos, should never be picked up mid-body. It inflicts pain and causes them to be nastier than they are naturally. If you need to transport your Tokay, place a small container inside the enclosure and gently nudge him inside using a dowel or other means.

HOUSING

Tokays can be housed by the pair in a 15-gallon tank. I prefer a 20-30 gallon tank for a trio of one male to two females. Housing should have climbable walls, hides, a calcium dish containing Calcium with D3 and be misted twice daily. Decorative caves, hides, rocks and branches can be added for decoration, but should be removed if egg laying is a possibility.

TEMPERATURES

Temperatures ranging from 75-89 will suit the Tokay thru the day. A night time drop is acceptable.

LIGHTING

Tokays are a nocturnal gecko and do not require UVB. They will however, tolerate it.

CARE

After bringing your new gecko home, you should limit movement around and in the enclosure for several days. Also be sure to feed him inside his enclosure only. During this time, it’s important that he have several places to hide.

Make sure his cage walls are misted several times daily. Tokays lap water from the sides of the enclosure, so you will most likely never see him drink.

They also consume a variety of food. They begin on ¾ grown crix, roaches, wax worms and mealworms. Many keepers also feed pinks and fuzzies to larger specimens.

You should also supply several tablespoons of fruit baby food in a dish at least once per week. This will allow you the advantage of adding calcium and multivitamin. Calcium should be Rep Cal with D3 and Herptivite Multivitamin. A small cap of calcium should be kept in the enclosure at all times.

Just remember, this is not a beginner lizard. Think your purchases over carefully.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love tokay gecko's they are awesome (even if they do tend to be mean as snot lol)
have you seen Pied Tokays. I ran accross those a few days ago and all i could say was WOW.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they are pretty. I think they're fascinating, but man.........those guys have attitude.
problem with Tokays, if you don't know what you're doing, you can really hurt them. Their attitude and demeanor make so many people leary of them and they end up neglected.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They are pretty but NASTY NASTY NASTY, I didnt know about not picking them up but when we moved her we did as you suggested just because noone wanted to touch her lol.

Latest posts