• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thermostat fluctuations

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys,
So it’s only really just dawned on me that our basking spot temp fluctuations might not be good for our beardie? She is happy, healthy, eating, pooping, hydrated, etc etc..

But I started to wonder if it’s not good for them to have temperature fluctuations? Our thermostat will only allow the maximum heat of 104. So it then shuts off at 104 and I initially set it to come back on when it drops back down to 100, but this process goes up and back down and up and back down quite quickly so I changed it to drop to 98 to allow for more time in between the bulb switching on and off. I’m using 150W.

Our beardie basks, she chills out, she takes herself to another spot for more UVB sometimes, a little shade sometimes and basks with mouth slightly open when the general temp across the viv raises. But does she need a steady constant of her preferred temperature to be at optimum health?

I’ve just swapped over for 100w bulb to see if it will raise to around 102 (this seems to be her favoured basking / mouth slightly open temp). The bulbs been in a while and it doesn’t seem to be raising higher than 99. The ambient and cool end temps are still ok (I think - middle of viv is 89 and cool end 82, please let me know if that should also be altered). She is 7 months old, so a juvenile.

Would you say to keep the 100W bulb so a stable temp is achieved and just raise the basking spot slightly or keep the 150W and not worry about the fluctuations between 98-104.

Sometimes I think I know a lot then other times I doubt myself, haha!

Thanks in advance for any advice x

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, so I’ve left it a little longer and very slightly raised the basking spot by putting a slate tile under it and we’re currently sitting at around 101. (83/90/101 on the gradient). Those with more experience, would you say these temps are sufficient? I don’t have a gradual basking spot that she can get higher on but anything much more than 102 she usually moves out of the direct heat a bit anyway.. she’s sitting right under it at 101 currently and looking pretty happy..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, so I’ve left it a little longer and very slightly raised the basking spot by putting a slate tile under it and we’re currently sitting at around 101. (83/90/101 on the gradient). Those with more experience, would you say these temps are sufficient? I don’t have a gradual basking spot that she can get higher on but anything much more than 102 she usually moves out of the direct heat a bit anyway.. she’s sitting right under it at 101 currently and looking pretty happy..
Those temps are fine -- as they get older your gonna find her not wanting those real hot spots all the time - usually in the morning mine climb to the higher temps and as they warm up during the day they are sitting at lower temps- I have a piece of basking decor that offers different temps for them to sit stand lay on or against --- they pick the spot they want to bask at - I dont use the thermostat - instead I have the decor piece that will offer the different gradient heat

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks! Now the basking spot is resting at 101-103 she’s been basking with her mouth open for longer periods than before (when the temp was fluctuating). She seems pretty happy :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! Now the basking spot is resting at 101-103 she’s been basking with her mouth open for longer periods than before (when the temp was fluctuating). She seems pretty happy :)
She's gaping or adjusting her body temp which is good