• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Sand Debate

nitrous12

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got our first beardie a few days ago. We went to a breeder that has been around a long time who has a complete package to get a new owner started. The substrate he provides and recommends is sand. He mentioned having many debates about it for years and pointed out where they are from. I can't argue his success and experience yet I still find myself feeling nervous about the risks.

One thing I am going to try out is cricket feeding in a separate enclosure free of hides and stuff. Seems to make sense as he won't eat sand, won't have crickets crawling around his enclosure when he is done and may not eat them all, and it seems easier to get the crickets out of their bin because I put it right in the larger dragon feeding bin and any that get away from me fall into the bin instead of on the floor.
I feel more inclined to put some more hides and climbing things for him too if he is able to eat elsewhere without the crickets hiding behind all kinds of stuff.

So I guess I am still kind of leaning towards switching to tile but I am curious to hear others thoughts on this knowing I won't be feeding him on sand.

Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Tile is easy to clean and it keeps their nails filed down. Sand is pretty and if you have a well hydrated bearded dragon it shouldn't cause impaction problems if they ingest a little bit of it. That is if you use children's play sand and not calcium sand. The other issue with sand is that it can get in their eyes and get under their eyelids and cause infection. Plus even if you clean the solid poop up right away, the liquid from it is still going to work it's way into the sand and that bacteria is going to stay there. :eek:

nitrous12

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I am really considering switching over. Do you guys have the tile cut to fit in place on the bottom? I don't have a tile cutter.

A part of me feels bad now since my little guy likes to burrow down a little bit when he sleeps and he looks so comfy.

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Nitrous, I am using Paper towel, Easy to clean, and replace. Tile is also good. But my guy likes to burrow at night, so I have not made the change just yet. Try the paper towel out, They wont eat it, and they can see there food that much easier too. Sand they can swallow and it will hurt there tummys. When he is older you could go with sand, but It will be a pain to keep clean and Im sure it will start to stink when you cant find his poo

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I didn't have my tile cut so I have some gaps in my tank. I believe though if you have the exact measurements of the inside of your tank (the outside measurement is different) then you can have the store cut the tile for you.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah I am really considering switching over. Do you guys have the tile cut to fit in place on the bottom? I don't have a tile cutter.

A part of me feels bad now since my little guy likes to burrow down a little bit when he sleeps and he looks so comfy.

Most tanks come in measurements that 6" by 6" tiles will fit perfect. In my 20 gallon long I have 10 tiles which at 88 cents a piece only cost me $10.00 total. I use baby wipes to clean up the poo since its wet it wipes up easy. I also read somewhere that they use a small steam cleaner once a month to clean the tank of all germs. You have to make sure it has a high heat steam. The advantage is you don't have to move the tank just pick up the tiles vacuum & steam the tiles and tank. I haven't tried this but its on my list to buy a small portable steam cleaner for a good monthly cleaning.

As far as burying I don't do this but have read how some folks use a plastic container in the enclosure just for digging in.

nitrous12

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a few pics of my enclosure after I got the tiles in last night. The one I had to cut didn't cut correctly with the hand held tile cutter I tried to use so there is some overlap. Not really a big deal, but I did find someone that can cut it properly and I can get a precise fit soon.

Here is Spike chillin while I work:

Enclosure:

I think I am going to ditch that branch on the right side. It is plastic and it seems he doesn't grip it well so I don't get the impression he likes it or wants to climb it. All the wood ones I saw at local shops didn't seem like they would elevate much and/or didn't look like I could secure them well so I went with this thing.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It looks great!!! I like the clean look of tile & its easy to clean. The color you picked matches your rocks and hide nice. I love the Steeler blanket :) Go Steelers !!!!

Latest posts