• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Prodigal Son Returns

Has your beardy ran away and then returned?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trycten7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Before I start, I'd like to say that this is my first post. After scouring the internet for far longer than I should have, I've yet to find another person have anything similar happen, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from other owners. Let's begin:

Approximately 6 months ago, my girlfriend and I purchased a baby bearded dragon. The reason behind this (aside from the fact that we love our 'old guy' beardy that she's adopted about 6 years ago, and wanted another) was because our neighborhood outdoor cat moved away. It would come by our house every day, jump on top of the A/C wall unit, and scratch at the window glass to get our attention and provoke us to feed and per her. With the cat gone, I decided to fill the void with a new baby... and thus Tigger joined our lives.

He's got beautiful coloring, all it's fingers and toes, no health issues, a very curious personality and generally very playful. The only issue, after 4 1/2 months, was that his nails were getting long and sharp. So, naturally, my girlfriend decided to take him to the lizard store to get trimmed. She placed him in a shallow box (no lid...) and carried him to the car, only to have him leap out (he's been a jumper since day 1, hence the name Tigger) and dive into some bushes never to be seen again. She was devastated, and tirelessly scoured the neighborhood in an attempt to find him... but was unsuccessful. Much mourning proceeded.

About a week later, we decided to get another baby... and vowed to only use 6-sided boxes (y'know, with a lid) to transport the new one and generally be more cautious about escapes. The new baby has been healthy, but certainly much more timid than Tigger was (the new one is named Peaches. I'm not involved with the naming process because I know better than to question her judgement on these things). Things have gone well, and Peaches has been growing quickly in Tiggers old enclosure.

So, here's where things get interesting. Two weeks ago, I came home from work... fired up the Playstation... and started to hear something scratching on the front window glass. At first I ignored it, but something triggered in my brain that "HEY! YOU KNOW THAT SOUND WELL!!! THE CAT IS BACK!!!!". I jumped off the couch in disbelief, as I hadn't seen or heard from the cat in 6 months. As I approach the window and draw the blinds, I instantly go into a state of shock (I'm shaking as I type this... it's still too surreal) and nervous joy. My friend had returned to us, but it wasn't the one I was expecting.... Tigger was sitting on top of the wall A/C unit, scratching on the window pane, peering between the blinds to get a look inside the house!!!!!!

Once I collected myself, I grabbed some bait (cricket container) and a basket and headed out the door. He didn't even flinch as I approach and handled him, and he let me bring him back inside without issue. He's about twice the size as when he left (and I'm 100% positive it's him, as the tip of his tail has a slight kink at the end that resembles a digit... that couple with his extreme coloring leave no doubt in my mind it's the same lizard), has no scarring/injuries, still have all his fingers and toes, and looks like he's been eating fine. We've taken him to the vet, who gave us some anti-parasitics but signed off on him being a healthy beardy! It took about 3-4 days before he was comfortable being in an enclosed space again, but is fully adjusted now.

So my question to the community is this: Has anyone else had a bearded dragon run away, and then return home on it's own accord? If so, how long was it gone? I haven't been able to find a single other story of this happening, and it's honestly creeping me out a bit. If I had seen him outside, that would be one thing... but the guy FOUND HIS WAY BACK HOME AND THEN SUCCESSFULLY GOT MY ATTENTION!

TLDR; My beardy ran away for a month and a half (as a juvenile), and then showed up at my front window scratching on the glass pane. Has anyone else had this happen?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Before I start, I'd like to say that this is my first post. After scouring the internet for far longer than I should have, I've yet to find another person have anything similar happen, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from other owners. Let's begin:

Approximately 6 months ago, my girlfriend and I purchased a baby bearded dragon. The reason behind this (aside from the fact that we love our 'old guy' beardy that she's adopted about 6 years ago, and wanted another) was because our neighborhood outdoor cat moved away. It would come by our house every day, jump on top of the A/C wall unit, and scratch at the window glass to get our attention and provoke us to feed and per her. With the cat gone, I decided to fill the void with a new baby... and thus Tigger joined our lives.

He's got beautiful coloring, all it's fingers and toes, no health issues, a very curious personality and generally very playful. The only issue, after 4 1/2 months, was that his nails were getting long and sharp. So, naturally, my girlfriend decided to take him to the lizard store to get trimmed. She placed him in a shallow box (no lid...) and carried him to the car, only to have him leap out (he's been a jumper since day 1, hence the name Tigger) and dive into some bushes never to be seen again. She was devastated, and tirelessly scoured the neighborhood in an attempt to find him... but was unsuccessful. Much mourning proceeded.

About a week later, we decided to get another baby... and vowed to only use 6-sided boxes (y'know, with a lid) to transport the new one and generally be more cautious about escapes. The new baby has been healthy, but certainly much more timid than Tigger was (the new one is named Peaches. I'm not involved with the naming process because I know better than to question her judgement on these things). Things have gone well, and Peaches has been growing quickly in Tiggers old enclosure.

So, here's where things get interesting. Two weeks ago, I came home from work... fired up the Playstation... and started to hear something scratching on the front window glass. At first I ignored it, but something triggered in my brain that "HEY! YOU KNOW THAT SOUND WELL!!! THE CAT IS BACK!!!!". I jumped off the couch in disbelief, as I hadn't seen or heard from the cat in 6 months. As I approach the window and draw the blinds, I instantly go into a state of shock (I'm shaking as I type this... it's still too surreal) and nervous joy. My friend had returned to us, but it wasn't the one I was expecting.... Tigger was sitting on top of the wall A/C unit, scratching on the window pane, peering between the blinds to get a look inside the house!!!!!!

Once I collected myself, I grabbed some bait (cricket container) and a basket and headed out the door. He didn't even flinch as I approach and handled him, and he let me bring him back inside without issue. He's about twice the size as when he left (and I'm 100% positive it's him, as the tip of his tail has a slight kink at the end that resembles a digit... that couple with his extreme coloring leave no doubt in my mind it's the same lizard), has no scarring/injuries, still have all his fingers and toes, and looks like he's been eating fine. We've taken him to the vet, who gave us some anti-parasitics but signed off on him being a healthy beardy! It took about 3-4 days before he was comfortable being in an enclosed space again, but is fully adjusted now.

So my question to the community is this: Has anyone else had a bearded dragon run away, and then return home on it's own accord? If so, how long was it gone? I haven't been able to find a single other story of this happening, and it's honestly creeping me out a bit. If I had seen him outside, that would be one thing... but the guy FOUND HIS WAY BACK HOME AND THEN SUCCESSFULLY GOT MY ATTENTION!

TLDR; My beardy ran away for a month and a half (as a juvenile), and then showed up at my front window scratching on the glass pane. Has anyone else had this happen?

Wow what an amazing story. I have read stories about run aways but nothing like this. In the few cases I have read the dragon was found by the owner or neighbor outside sun basking.
This sounds like nothing short of a miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm so glad he came back! That's absolutely incredible. It sounds like the tip of his tail was caught in something and is in the process of falling off. Keep it clean, Jeep an eye on it for discoloration, and it should work itself out. Also, get your boy checked for parasites and keep him separated from the other beardies. He must have been munching away at insects outside, which may have been carrying something. A vet check up is in order.

Congratulations again, on finding your runaway dragon. Or him finding you haha. That really is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Great story! I have heard of them coming back home but like ReaAnn said, usually someone finds it out basking on a rock or on the porch or something, not actually glass dancing to try to get back inside. Glad that he's healthy and the anti-parasitic is a great idea.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is awesome like the others I've heard of the owners or neighbors finding them later on but not by the beardie actually saying "um hey hooman let me back in I'm back" lol
good vet check

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I missed the paragraph about the vet check apparently. You've got one lucky baby! Gone a month and a half to return home bigger, parasite free, and healthy, that's really is a miracle. Think you can post some photos of the lucky dude?

Trycten7

Bearded Dragon Egg
I missed the paragraph about the vet check apparently. You've got one lucky baby! Gone a month and a half to return home bigger, parasite free, and healthy, that's really is a miracle. Think you can post some photos of the lucky dude?

Here he is!
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

Trycten7

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm so glad he came back! That's absolutely incredible. It sounds like the tip of his tail was caught in something and is in the process of falling off. Keep it clean, Jeep an eye on it for discoloration, and it should work itself out. Also, get your boy checked for parasites and keep him separated from the other beardies. He must have been munching away at insects outside, which may have been carrying something. A vet check up is in order.

Congratulations again, on finding your runaway dragon. Or him finding you haha. That really is amazing.

The tip of his tail has been like that since we got him as a baby. It's about 1/16th of an inch at the tip that kinks at a 90° angle, but it's the same color as the rest of the tail and hasn't changed at all in the last 6 months. Thanks for the tip though!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He looks really good for being gone that long!!! strong critters

Latest posts