• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperatures, what do I do?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
EFA8C891-1069-4C6D-B14F-F68CA50381EF.jpeg

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
So if I place the probe where he lays won’t him laying on it cause it to read wrong?or should it be on the wood next to where he’s going to lay and what if he lays on it anyway? Sorry just trying to make sense in my head.
Yes but until he lays on it, you can get the correct readings. In one dragon cage, I quit suing the senor ones and just use the gun as none of the soft items are used for basking as they should have a hard basking log/rock the helps hold warmth like in the wild. I have two different laser guns and use them instead.

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Should it be on the wood, so laying on it? the instructions said the probe should not be closer than 9inches to the heat source so if I place it on the wood where he would be laying it would be too close.

Atm the thermometer probe is reading 114f directly under the bulb and the dimmer probe is attached to the wood (circled in red on pic) or I could place where I have put a green line but it will be closer than the nine inches that the manufacturer recommends. I haven’t fitted lamp guards yet ;).
View attachment 27705
If it's too close for the sensor it's too close for your dragon to the bulb also. They should be no closer than 8 inches to the bulb for safety reasons. IMO you need the sensor right where the dragon would lay for the correct basking temps or 105-110 for babies and about 98-101 for adults. My girls seem to like under 100-95 but they are both over a year old.

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
So my beardie can move away from the heat down the wood to find correct temp, what temp should the area directly below the bulb be for a baby beardie?
right under the bulb the senor should read between 105-115 for a baby, on either side of that don't worry too much. The dragon can move a inch or two to regulate and go back to the maximum as needed. Hot side ambient should be low 90's and the cool end all the way down to 68. No night time heat unless inside your home goes below 65.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can leave the probe next to where he lays or spot check the spot every now and then --- temps in the tank should not be hotter than 110 in the basking spot ---- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's during the day --- 68 is for night time temps NO day time temps --- if you are getting 68 degrees during the day on the cool side you will need to add a heat bulb over there --- it will send the dragon into brumation type mode ---- 65-75 at night are good temps --- it will help him metabolize his system for a better nights sleep

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
You can leave the probe next to where he lays or spot check the spot every now and then --- temps in the tank should not be hotter than 110 in the basking spot ---- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's during the day --- 68 is for night time temps NO day time temps --- if you are getting 68 degrees during the day on the cool side you will need to add a heat bulb over there --- it will send the dragon into brumation type mode ---- 65-75 at night are good temps --- it will help him metabolize his system for a better nights sleep
It seems to be stable, I check it regularly, the 75w bulb arrived and will be the perfect distance according to the box, So I will fit that tomorrow. He has been basking and eating well, he’s very active as well, the probe thermometer reads 108.3f on the log exactly where he lays, when I use the ir gun I have to open the glass and the room is cold so I don’t get the actual reading, it displays 104.6f.

It’s cold in my living room at night so I have the heat lamp and it clicks on at 78f, should I lower it more?

I have noticed he goes dark in colour when he roams anywhere but in the basking area and I am now realising the rest of the viv is not warm enough!
the cool side is around 73f and the middle is 81.8f should I have the heat lamp in the middle on during the day to raise the temps?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Or I could put a second basking spot in where the che is now and move that over, other side of the t5, I am going to remove that lamp guard too.
EAD4DD79-3D84-43A8-B6DD-2D910ED39534.jpeg

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I put the 75w in but it’s still dimmed quite a bit, I am thinking of bypassing the dimmer and plugging it in direct and seeing what temp I get! 3951E7CE-E15F-4444-A1E3-A7C34675C013.jpeg
the middle is sticking around 94f

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I put the 75w in but it’s still dimmed quite a bit, I am thinking of bypassing the dimmer and plugging it in direct and seeing what temp I get! View attachment 27973
the middle is sticking around 94f
Ok yes try getting rid of the dimmer and put a low watt basking bulb where the CHE is -- but watch those temps- I am having to shut my middle basking bulb off mid day because our temps have warmed here now and its getting my temps to hot in the tanks - so by late day I have only one basking bulb going - and its a 100 watt now - winter I am using a 150 and one 50 watt over middle of the tank - your middle temp is good for 94--- you want that basking spot tho around 105-110-

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Ok yes try getting rid of the dimmer and put a low watt basking bulb where the CHE is -- but watch those temps- I am having to shut my middle basking bulb off mid day because our temps have warmed here now and its getting my temps to hot in the tanks - so by late day I have only one basking bulb going - and its a 100 watt now - winter I am using a 150 and one 50 watt over middle of the tank - your middle temp is good for 94--- you want that basking spot tho around 105-110-
Ok I will have a play around and order an extra bulb, I am home all day so I will keep an eye out for warm days! Basking spot is a steady 108.3f and should I set the middle one to a lower temp? So he one 108 area and the one in the middle at 95f so it doesn’t raise the middle up?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I could use the dimmer in the middle to keep temps where I want

that’s if the 75w works at the right temp on the right.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I plugged the 75w in directly and the temp just climbed and climbed to 112 and was still rising so I plugged it back into the dimmer. I think I will put the 100w bulb in over log basking area put the 75w in the centre and get a dimmer for it.

I will use the ceramic heater during the day for now to keep temps right until then.

any suggestions/alternatives much appreciated!

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Would a 50w without the dimmer over the log and a 50w controlled by a dimmer in the centre be okay, or does he need at least one at a higher watt?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Would a 50w without the dimmer over the log and a 50w controlled by a dimmer in the centre be okay, or does he need at least one at a higher watt?
I am not sure --- it is trial and error w/ bulbs--- you haft to play around w/ them to see what works best -- you need basking spot 105-110 -- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's -- if you cannot get correct temps w/ the bulbs you may haft to adjust your basking decor-

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I honestly can’t believe my luck.... I plugged 50w in this morning without the dimmer and I am getting 108.6f - whoop whoop, I will monitor temp over today to check that’s steady. It means I can move the dimmer to the middle and get another 50w for a second basking area and to keep the middle of the viv in the 90’s, amazing, thank you, thank you.

Latest posts