• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank temps

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I had a question about tank temps. I read Juvinile bearded dragons need hot side to be 95-105 and cool side 80-90. Is this correct? If so any ideas on how to raise temp on cool side? We are sitting at cool side 75-76 with heat pad set to 85 and hot side under basking are 96-97. We have a 67 gallon tank and Im finding it difficult to raise the temperature. Do I need to increase wattage on my heat lamp currently 100w???

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone,

I had a question about tank temps. I read Juvinile bearded dragons need hot side to be 95-105 and cool side 80-90. Is this correct? If so any ideas on how to raise temp on cool side? We are sitting at cool side 75-76 with heat pad set to 85 and hot side under basking are 96-97. We have a 67 gallon tank and Im finding it difficult to raise the temperature. Do I need to increase wattage on my heat lamp currently 100w???
First how are you getting the surface basking temp? Needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temp-those temps should be 95-100-ambient temp in the area of hot side around 100--- next ambient temps on the cool side should be 80ish -- 90 is too hot --

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
First how are you getting the surface basking temp? Needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temp-those temps should be 95-100-ambient temp in the area of hot side around 100--- next ambient temps on the cool side should be 80ish -- 90 is too hot --
I have probe thermometer reading 97 under basking on hot side digital ambient temp reading 96. Ambient digital on cool side is 76 and probe temp for my heating pad on cool side is 75

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have probe thermometer reading 97 under basking on hot side digital ambient temp reading 96. Ambient digital on cool side is 76 and probe temp for my heating pad on cool side is 75
What are you using for a light/ bulb on the cool side? You can use a low watt 40-60 regular house hold bulb to get some heat up to 80ish- LED's will not work or use a low basking bulb 50 watt- - can you set up a second basking area in the middle of the tank-- have temp around 90's that will warm cool side up to 80's

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you using for a light/ bulb on the cool side? You can use a low watt 40-60 regular house hold bulb to get some heat up to 80ish- LED's will not work or use a low basking bulb 50 watt- - can you set up a second basking area in the middle of the tank-- have temp around 90's that will warm cool side up to 80's
we were using his uvb but since he stays on the hot side basking most the day I read its better to have uvb on same side as basking area so we moved it to basking side. My new uvb fixture and bulb should be here tomorrow it should extend at least half his tank. Thank you for the help! I will have to get a 50 watt heat bulb because all my household lights are led. We tried using his 100 watt ceramic bulb but it rose the temp too high so what you advised makes sense.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
we were using his uvb but since he stays on the hot side basking most the day I read its better to have uvb on same side as basking area so we moved it to basking side. My new uvb fixture and bulb should be here tomorrow it should extend at least half his tank. Thank you for the help! I will have to get a 50 watt heat bulb because all my household lights are led. We tried using his 100 watt ceramic bulb but it rose the temp too high so what you advised makes sense.
Yes they do recommend the UVB / basking bulb be in the same area- I have 2 basking areas in my 120 gallon tanks - one is the middle of the tank w/ the UVB and one hot side - they go back and forth between the two -what brand and bulb did you get for the UVB? -

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes they do recommend the UVB / basking bulb be in the same area- I have 2 basking areas in my 120 gallon tanks - one is the middle of the tank w/ the UVB and one hot side - they go back and forth between the two -what brand and bulb did you get for the UVB? -
I got the reptisun t5 10.0 its the tube bulb and the fixture we got fixes to top of screen inside tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got the reptisun t5 10.0 its the tube bulb and the fixture we got fixes to top of screen inside tank
Does that fixture have a reflector in it? Distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does that fixture have a reflector in it? Distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor
update we received our new uvb bulb and fixture immediately got set up. The last couple days waiting we moved his old uvb light to hot basking side and that seemed to really perk him up. We also held off on feeder insects until he got hungry and ate some of his salad. Watching him today after having new light he is more active and his appetite seems to have gotten much better. He ate his salad as soon as I put in tank and later had about 20-25 crickets! Also with the new light we are reaching 80 on cool side so everything seems perfect now! Thanks for all the help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
update we received our new uvb bulb and fixture immediately got set up. The last couple days waiting we moved his old uvb light to hot basking side and that seemed to really perk him up. We also held off on feeder insects until he got hungry and ate some of his salad. Watching him today after having new light he is more active and his appetite seems to have gotten much better. He ate his salad as soon as I put in tank and later had about 20-25 crickets! Also with the new light we are reaching 80 on cool side so everything seems perfect now! Thanks for all the help!
Sounds good --- glad he has perked up and eating --- make sure you change the UVB bulb out in approx 10-11 months from install --- he should do good w/ everything on par

Latest posts