• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking my beardie outside...Help

HelenD

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
About 5 months ago I addopted a beardie from a friend...she was almost 2 years when I got her her and the reason I took her was that her previous owner didnt feel that they could spend enough time with her(they had 2 other beardies as well).....when I got kiyo she was in brumation and didnt do much for the first month....ever since, I have been taking her out and handeling her for about a hour at least a day.She is great with people and sleeps with our amstaff as well and has a great appetite for critters and veges alike...The only thing that concerns me is that her previous owner said that they never really took her outside....Its been getting in the mid 20's here lately so I decided to take kiyo out and she seemed ok but would expose her beard to any little sound....that was a week ago....I have been gradulally taking her out more and more adding about 5 min every time and today she only puffed out twice(at a firetruck non the less) I guess my question is should I continue were im going or is this causing to much stress on her?....I dont wanna hurt her or stress her out so any feedback would be greatly appretiated!!!

Thanks so much, Kiyo's mom

Here is a pic of the little girl
Kiyohome006.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beautiful coloring!

I think you are taking the right steps. I'm assuming you are using Celcius, right? If so, mid-20's is fine. Anything below 25 is too cold.

What are you using to keep her outside?

HelenD

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you.Yeah sorry celcius.... I dont keep her outside by herself....I dont think I would even trust her in a inclosed crate as we have hawks(theyre not around to often) near our house... right now I have a harness for her and just keep her on my chest and if I let her on the grass I just keep an eye on the sky 8).
Thanks so much for your feedback.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds good. You can get a mesh viv to keep her in. I'm not familiar with hawks, so I'm not sure if they would take off with it or not.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, a hawk will eat a bearded dragon left unattended. Not sure if they would take off with the mesh viv or not.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yes, a harness is a great way to take your beardie outside. the natural sun rays will do her good!

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we don't have a harness, but spike isn't big enough to fit in one, anyway.

I usually carry him outside so he can get some fresh air and natural sun. He really likes the sound of birds chirping, and the bubbling sound of our pond! It's very relaxing in our backyard, Spikey always ends up napping in my hands. Usually I sneak outside without making any noise so It doesn't attract our dog, her favorite food is lizard. If she DOES come, I nudge her out of the way with my foot and lift spikey up higher, and then flee inside. xD

HelenD

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
aw wish our backyard was that realaxing.....we live buy a pond as well with ducks and lots of song birds......oh yeah and a police and fire station LOL ;D

Latest posts