• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T8 UVBs

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
Hey guys I just got a new uvb fixture from my local pet store and it's a T8. Is this good for my Nova? What can yall tell me about the T8s?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
T8's are good. The Reptisun 10.0 HO's are the best of them. The only downside is if you have them on top of a mesh screen the screen will block out a lot of the UVB meaning 1. you'll have to change your bulb about every 6 months, 2. you will have to get your dragon closer to the UVB, like 4-6 inches away.

I used them for both Luci and Dexter and I liked them. I changed them every 6 months but I would notice sometimes around 5 months they would seem very lethargic and lazy and not want to move around much. It was my way of knowing to change the bulb. 6 months ago I switched to the T5's because I heard they were even better and I found a good sale at Drs. Foster Smith. I also changed out because Dexter is getting bigger and not as agile as she used to be so to get her that close to the UVB it meant a lot of climbing for her to do and I didn't want her to get hurt. I noticed a difference in the bulbs right away. Dexter is a lot more active now and eats more and the tank is actually brighter. Plus the T5's will last for 12 months so that also figured into my decision to make the change. I'm saving money by not having to buy so many bulbs throughout the year.

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
Can I put a T5 bulb in the hood that came with the T8? The hood came with a plastic cover over the bulb, should I leave that there or take it off?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No the T5 is a smaller bulb so you need the T5 fixture. The plastic is a blocker, I would take it out so they can get the most exposure.

Latest posts