• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen foot?

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
Is it me just being paranoid about my new baby or is one foot swollen? I was feeding him and I looked at his feet and one looks a little. Bigger than the other

Attachments

• IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 983

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi - yeah, it looks swollen to me. don't panic. just watch it. it will probably go down on its own. they are amazingly resilient little creatures. if it doesn't then you might want to consider talking to a vet. my boy jumps out of his tank - 4 feet off the floor - regularly. and my girl - literally - falls off the window ledge onto a chair and then onto the floor. I can only wish that I was that flexible !

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
hi - yeah, it looks swollen to me. don't panic. just watch it. it will probably go down on its own. they are amazingly resilient little creatures. if it doesn't then you might want to consider talking to a vet. my boy jumps out of his tank - 4 feet off the floor - regularly. and my girl - literally - falls off the window ledge onto a chair and then onto the floor. I can only wish that I was that flexible !
Haha same!! How long should I wait? Some people in other groups said it could be stuck shed or it could be something like gout(worst case) also when I gently press down like massage it feels really hard. I have been soaking him about twice a day for how ever long he wants.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh yeah, that's swollen :( It doesn't look like stuck shed. I would have a vet look at it. He may have landed on it the wrong way or something.

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
Oh yeah, that's swollen :( It doesn't look like stuck shed. I would have a vet look at it. He may have landed on it the wrong way or something.
Yeah I don't have the funds today and they are not open tomorrow so I am going to try and make an appointment for Monday or Tuesday

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I would have him looked at they jump around at that age and could have hurt that foot..

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
Yea I would have him looked at they jump around at that age and could have hurt that foot..
I made an appointment but they can not see me until Tuesday and now the baby is taking a turn for what I think is the worse....

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
What is he doing?
He turned limp yesterday. Like I would move him and pick him up and he would open his eyes but looked like he was dying. I gave him a warm soak and that perked him up a bit. I put him to bed and during the night I looked at him and thought he was dead cause it didn't look like he was breathing. I grabbed him and woke him up then placed him back to bed. He is awake now and just pooped.

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
Did you get him to the vet yesterday? What did they say?
I did get him to the vet! They said when he went limp after eating but perked up after a soak it was mostly because he ate too much too fast. So what I call a food coma. He does have parasites, but that is what you expect from a petstore baby. For his foot, they did an X-ray but since he is so little they couldn't see much so they took some blood. He has a borderline high white blood cell count so he is on med for that and the parasites. Since he is a fan of water they want me to soak him 1 once or twice daily until his next vet visit so the meds won't mess with his kidneys. They prefer to have him over hydrated so he doesn't get worse. He is also very docile in nature so he is easy to work with and not to worry if he doesn't move much!!! As long as he is alert to his surroundings!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad you got him to the vet. Just so you know, hydration in a bath only happens if they drink the water. They aren't like frogs, their skin doesn't absorb water. So while he is in the bath , try dripping water on the tip of his nose to get him to lick it off.

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
Glad you got him to the vet. Just so you know, hydration in a bath only happens if they drink the water. They aren't like frogs, their skin doesn't absorb water. So while he is in the bath , try dripping water on the tip of his nose to get him to lick it off.
Oh I do and he always drinks!!! He actually likes water so that is a plus :)
He is also shedding which is why they suggested the extra soak. :) I also dip one or two worms in water so he can eat them moist. The rest are coated in multivitamin and calcium

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Make sure your temps are spot on you would be surprised what a few degrees will do

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
Make sure your temps are spot on you would be surprised what a few degrees will do
Yes everything is spot on except 1 spot!!!!! But that is mostly because that spot is within 3-4 inches of the basking light so that is why it is higher in temp. Other than that the spots he likes to hang out in are between 100F and 117F. And on the cool side is is always between 80F and 85F.

digitalfiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys my beardie has a swollen foot too. I've seen a lot of things say it could be from shedding but I wasn't sure and he seems to really dislike it being touched. I've attached a picture. I've had him about a month now and he is shedding.

Attachments

• IMG_20170621_143710.jpg
    IMG_20170621_143710.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 940

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys my beardie has a swollen foot too. I've seen a lot of things say it could be from shedding but I wasn't sure and he seems to really dislike it being touched. I've attached a picture. I've had him about a month now and he is shedding.
Oh Yes it is for sure! Looks like he may have gotten it stuck somehow and hurt it. I would seek a vet to verify and to treat him so it doesn't get infected.

digitalfiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh Yes it is for sure! Looks like he may have gotten it stuck somehow and hurt it. I would seek a vet to verify and to treat him so it doesn't get infected.

That's what I was afraid of. I have an appointment with a vet tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts