• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Surface or substrate for vivariums question.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Everyone! It's been a while since I've been here, but I'm back with another question.;)
My General has decided to bromate! Yeah, it's making me crazy. But it's boring...So I have plenty of time to find more things to worry about.
Here's my question. I see a lot of people talking about keeping their dragons on 'tile' Is that ceramic tile, like we put on the floor or for counter-tops? I am worried that the glass bottom of The General's tank is too cold. She is in her hidey hole, sleeping. I've taken her out a couple times to soak and she always feels cool. Her tank itself is usually 91+ and warmer under her basking lamp, but when she is sleeping she in under her log and rocks on the bottom of her tank. I don't see how ceramic tile would be warmer than glass.
I've been wondering if she should be warmer. I currently use a double layer of brown grocery bag paper on the bottom of her tank. That has worked very well and is easily replaceable for cleaning. I've been told it is okay to use. Should I find something to put under her that will be warmer? Or maybe just put several more layers

I refuse to use sand. We had a little snake choke to death trying to swallow a minnie she had taken out of her water dish and gotten coated with sand from the bottom of her cage. I am afraid to have that happen with the General.

krystal&otto

Bearded Dragon Egg
Deff no sand like you said because it can cause impaction. Most people use slate tiles. I prefer the reptile carpet for my little guy. I'm not sure on the brumation part because mine is such a baby sorry :/

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I know one person on here places a heating pad under the tile in the hide to help with warmth. You just dont want it too hot.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You could always wrap her in a nice soft blanket after her bath :)

The tile everyone talks about is ceramic or stone tile. Untreated stone would hold some heat I would think. I don't know if changing things in her tank while she's asleep is a good idea. She might be confused when she wakes up. I haven't had to deal with brumation yet so I'm not sure.

Latest posts