• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Super worms as staple?

Barking Deer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can Super worms be a staple for the insect protein in a BD's diet?
What are other staples, besides crickets and roaches?

My beardie is an adult. She is 15 to 16 inches long, and about 2yr 4 mo old. I adopted her on Nov. 23, 2014.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To cover their nutritional needs – it's best to give a variety. There are lots of different worms. available. As an adult she should be eating more greens than insects. I say that tongue in cheek because neither of my adults regularly eat greens. They're carnivores. Right now they're both brumating so not even eating insects. If she's not been fed greens it'll be a challenge for you to introduce them. Well – a challenge for you to get her to eat them. Welcome to the forum

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use supers as my staple but I also offer other options. Night crawlers, hornworms, and phoenix worms along with the occasional cricket. I'm in the same boat as Canicke, my 2 year old won't eat her veggies. I learned the nice thing about hornworms is they stick to everything. You can throw them in with the salad and the beardie will usually gobble some salad along with the worm :)

Barking Deer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, my Aussie doesn't like her greens, either. Are horn worms something I can feed as a staple everyday? I know of the plant:animal ratio. I'm just asking staple wise as in the animal ratio part. I already know what greens/vegetables/fruits BDs can eat, atm I'm concerned about varying the animal part of her diet.
Mine is brumating too.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, my Aussie doesn't like her greens, either. Are horn worms something I can feed as a staple everyday? I know of the plant:animal ratio. I'm just asking staple wise as in the animal ratio part. I already know what greens/vegetables/fruits BDs can eat, atm I'm concerned about varying the animal part of her diet.
Mine is brumating too.

Hornworms are high in calcium and have a lot of moisture. My 2 year old likes to eat those as her staple, I haven't had any problems but I also try to feed her other bugs too for variety.

Barking Deer

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've fed mine Supers worms, Phoenix worms, wax worms, and crickets. When the local reptile store gets more horns I'll get some. What other feeders can she eat, besides Dubia Roaches? I'm in Florida, and they're illegal.

Oh, and since Aussie is brumating too, should I still offer a bowl/plate of greens and what not? Some say yes, but I don't want to waste food. She only opens her eye/s for a few seconds when I turns the lights on or when there's a lot of noise.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I heard you should still offer a salad. Maybe just a real small one. I haven't had to deal with brummation yet. I guess Dexter is too afraid she's going to miss something.

Barking Deer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, I guess if she wakes up and is hungry, but she hasn't been eating her greens very well anyway.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Unfortunately the whole hornworms being high in calcium thing just isnt true. The people at Greatlakes seem like nice people, but I really wish they wouldnt put that sort of thing on their website. Here is a link to the nutritional breakdown if you are interested. Their scientific name is Manduca sexta.
http://www.organicvaluerecovery.com/studies/studies_nutrient_content_of_insects.htm

They are very high in fat (about 22%) and fairly low in usable calcium, though they do have a good amount of moisture. That paste they eat is basically just starch, water and some additives. Unfortunately, they grow fastest when given diets high in phosphorous, so this really affects the Ca:p ratio they have, as they essentially just eat sugar and grow for those first two weeks. They are a good bright worm to get picky eaters interested, increase hydration or to supplement variety, but I would not recommend feeding them with any great frequency. They should be dusted with calcium.

Patsy, yours is still young and growing so not a big deal that you have been feeding them, but would try to ween yours off it as much as you can now.

Caitjinoy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Super worms can be a good staple but they are like beardie candy. Be careful how much you give because they are high in fat and can be make a beardie turn his nose up to other insects if not given a variety right off the bat.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it true a bearded dragon should be a certain length before you feed them superworms because of their digestive tract? I purchased some but then I came across information that said they should be 15" before feeding them. Is this true?

Barking Deer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine is turning four this July.
---
Honestly, he should be fine. I've never heard of that info and I've never had issues. I've fed Supers to my 7 inch long leopard gecko before and she's dandy.
As long as what you are feeding you dragon is no wider than the space between the dragon's eyes, you're fine.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine is turning four this July.
---
Honestly, he should be fine. I've never heard of that info and I've never had issues. I've fed Supers to my 7 inch long leopard gecko before and she's dandy.
As long as what you are feeding you dragon is no wider than the space between the dragon's eyes, you're fine.

Thank you!!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is it true a bearded dragon should be a certain length before you feed them superworms because of their digestive tract? I purchased some but then I came across information that said they should be 15" before feeding them. Is this true?

You know, Ive seen this information online too, mostly from a particular forum, and Im not sure where it came from or why it caught on. The idea is that after they reach a certain length, 16", the intestines 'straighten out' and its safe. Its kind of a silly notion, as the intestines never straighten out. Reptile intestines are like our intestines, and most complex animals for that matter, in that their intestines are looped around back and forth in the gut. They never get straight!

Anyway, impaction is a hydration issue not a growth issue. While insects with lots of hard outer shell (made of tightly packed proteins) are harder to digest, and do require more moisture to digest (proteins are very moisture intensive during digestion), things like mealworms may be more of an issue for an already dehydrated dragon. However, if your dragon is hydrated as normal then nothing they eat will be problematic regarding impactions.

Latest posts