• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stunted growth???

lucie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, a year ago I rescued a 5 inch long bearded dragon who was very aggressive and had horrible care previously. A week ago marks one year since I’ve obtained her. I have no idea how old she is, but she is only 12 inches long. Could her growth be stunted and what can I do to help?

Patti

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m by no means an expert, but to me that seems perfectly acceptable growth. It sounds like you got the dragon at a young age, maybe only a few months old, and for it to grow from 5 to 12 inches within a year seems fine. I got my dragon and he was about 3 - 5 inches and by the time he turned a year old he was about a foot long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
12" is a little small for a one year old but if she wasn't in the greatest conditions when you got her, then her growth could be stunted.

What kind of set up do you have for her? UVB, Basking, tank size?

lucie

Bearded Dragon Egg
12" is a little small for a one year old but if she wasn't in the greatest conditions when you got her, then her growth could be stunted.

What kind of set up do you have for her? UVB, Basking, tank size?
She’s in a 36x24x24 with a 36 inch uvb bulb that just burnt out, but another one arrives today. Her heat bulb is 100 Watts

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
if we guess your dragon was a couple of months old when you got her, then for 14 months she is a little bit small. Both of mine were about18 inches at 1 year old, but at 15 months now they are not much bigger, growth has almost stopped as they have become adults. It could be that yours will never get much bigger than she is now as she is also reaching adulthood. It is what it is, but good things come in small packages anyway.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She’s in a 36x24x24 with a 36 inch uvb bulb that just burnt out, but another one arrives today. Her heat bulb is 100 Watts

Is the UVB a T5 bulb or T8? T8 should be mounted inside the tank where T5 can sit on top of the mesh. What are you measuring your temps with?

Latest posts