• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stuck shed on toe

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, my bearded dragon spike has had some stuck shed on his left foot's toe. The toe is red because of sand stain when i used to use sand. He has had t there for a while now and it doesnt seem to bother him but i just want to make sure hes ok. I have given mutipule baths with shed ease but nothing came off. I even tried an old toothbrush and scrubbed at it. He doesn't seem to have any feeling in the toe and its just very flexible. I think the blood flow is cut off. Is there anything i can do? Should i just leave it alone? here are some pictures.
IMG_6822_2.jpg
IMG_6823_2.jpg
IMG_6820_2.jpg

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I assume he's fully grown so unless its layers upon layers of stuck shed the toe should be fine. Try very gently pressing one of your fingernails into the toe, slowly adding more pressure, if eventually he jerks his foot or moves away from it, that of course means he has feeling in it. If he doesn't move at all and you think your about to break his toe with the amount of pressure you're pressing down on it, than I advise a trip to the vet and see if they can do something about it so he doesn't loose his toe. Sometimes shed just isn't ready to come off no matter how many bathes you give them and still need a little more time. One of my beardies takes 2 weeks before his skin starts to finally shed. Also avoid using the shed aide a lot because they can than become dependent on it and over time its not good for their skin, truly it should just be used in high emergency situations. A simple warm bath during shedding times is more than enough. If you bath him in a container you can even partially put a lid on it to increase the humidity and help the shedding even more. Also is there a reflector on the uvb fixture? If not I suggest getting one because he's not getting enough UVB which could led to MBD. He should also be within 8inchs of it to get the amount of uvb that he needs. Hope I was able to help :)

Latest posts