• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

strange poop

Philpod

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We just got our first beardie, he is about 7 months old. He ate well for the last few days then stopped. Today he pooped out a lage amout of fecal material as well as two oval shapes. They are white and about 1/4 inch long and 1/8 of an inch wide. The out side was a little hard but the inside is a white paste. Not worms or living creatures. Gout crystals? He was a little dehydrated because he didn't eat or drink anything the first 36 hours we had him. Any ideas?

Thanks
Philpod

HUNTEQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If you pay attention to reptiles, they don't pee, turtles only pee as a defensive mechanism, other wise it comes out as a white section on their poop, the same is for beardies, if you pick them up, under certain conditions, they can pee on you, or defecate. This is all great to them, because if you were a predator, you would probably put them down. Now about the eating, if it's a female, she might have eggs soon, very soon, other wise see a vet. ;)

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They don't pee? I thought i've noticed some of his... leftovers being surrounded by dark, slightly smelly wet stuff.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Actually, the white part of their poop is considered the bearded dragons 'urine'.

I would keep an eye on smelly wet stuff, however.

And when you say wet stuff, are you talking about the poop itself, or was the poop well formed but "encased" in fluid?

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think the Poop "encased" In fluid is what it was. xDD

If I get permission to use mom's camera (and spike to poop again) i'll show you.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you said you just got him right?
he is probably still going through relocation stress which can cause their appetite to all but dissappear as well as their parasite levels to peak. this activity (along with the smelly fecal) should dissappear in 2-3 weeks. if it does not you will need to take a fecal sample to a vet as the smell/wet/runny poo is a good indicator of a parasitic infection that your beardie is not fighting off. the white stuff with the poo is actually a indicator of being hydrated. it is called urates and is basically the same as bird poop. if you have noticed the poop from birds always has a large white section this is their urine. same with the beardies. if it is hard and yellowish then that can be a sign of dehydration.
as far as hydration goes (if he is young) you should bathe him every other day. bathing consists of a soak in a warm (wont burn a babies skin) bath for about 15-20 minutes. most dragons do not drink often but they absorb water through their vent (the section at the base of their tail where they poop from). So as long as this area is submersed than he/she is getting water.

since this is your first beardie id love for your to answer some quick questions for me

how big is the enclosure he/she is in?
how old is the beardie?
How long have you had the beardie?
What are you feeding the beardie?
What uv light (size brand coil or tube or compact)?
What type of heating bulb do you use?
What are the cool side, basking, and ambient temps in the cage?
What do you take your temps with?
What type of substrate are you using?
Have you located a herp vet in your area in case of health emergencies?
Do you use calcium and vitamin dust on the live feeders for your beardie?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Again, this is an old post that RandomRacoon started up again. Not sure who your questions are geared towards, but RandomRacoon received her beardie at Christmas time. So, Spike is about 5 months old by now.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it was geared towards the OP but i gotta start looking at the OP because apparently i keep finding old posts lol. My apologies times 2

Latest posts