• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

still not eating

chris67

Bearded Dragon Egg
my boy id still not eating had him just over two weeks when i got him he ate a small amount of veg now he is not eating that his teps are 80 cool side and 105 hot side help

Pat B

Super Moderator
How old is your BD? Does he sleep all the time or is he active? He 'may' be in brumation. If you can post pictures of your setup that would be a great help....:) Brumation is where a BD basically shuts down and goes to sleep and it can go on for several months. My Spike went down this winter for almost 5 months, no eating, no pooping, no lights....no nothing....he just slept!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Different BDs brumate in different ways. Many will go into the deep sleep as Pat described, generally in a darker secluded area of the enclosure. Others may just find a comfy place to perch, generally on the cool side, sometimes somewhat secluded, others in the open, often eyes open during the daylight hours, aware of their surroundings, but no other movement. Brumation can last from a few days to, as Pat also mentioned, many months.

Pat B

Super Moderator
If your beardie is tiny then you might want to bump up your temps. 110 basking side and85 cool side. They do like their heat! If is starting to eat that is a good thing. If you have only had him for two weeks he may still be adjusting to his new surroundings. Be patient (so hard to do). :)

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Have you tried hand feeding him? I just got my beardie on Thursday, he's been eating pretty well. I noticed today he wasn't going anywhere near his veggies so as I was going to take them out I figured I would hold a piece in front of his face just to see and right away he ate it. He ate quite a few pieces then walked away when he was done. Not a ton but it was more than he ate all day! :D

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Some beardies just won't eat in front of you. If you are leaving insects in his habitat all day when you are not home do you count what you put in to know for sure that he is not eating?

Pat B

Super Moderator
My beardie prefers not to eat in front of me....weird! Fussy boy! I will leave the room then peek around the corner and he is gobbling up his crix!

Latest posts