• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting a dubi colony

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you already put together a big tupperware bin to keep your dubia in? Say goodbye to crickets forever! Roaches are so much easier!

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I have just about everything and the rest is in the mail. She loves dubi and so do I. Do much easer to work with. No smell and there slow. They just crawl up my finger and she eats em right off

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
They really are awesome little critters. I love watching them almost as much as watching my dragon Reggie. I've had mine for almost 7 months and let me say this: the size of my colony has become a bit... intimidating. :D It's gotten to the point where I can feed off males to my pacman frog. I may also start giving them to Reggie (she's about 17 inches long).

Dragons really do seem to have an innate (and intense) feeding response to these little things. I'm no expert, but if you ever have questions feel free to ask. I love talking about 'em. :cool:

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
Ty for the help I'm sure I will need it. The feeder ones I got to see if she would like them. R still alive and doing good some r to big so I will toss them in the kit wen it gets here and hope they grow. I have been feeding them veggies and pellets that came with my tank also have the orange flunks cricket feed in there plus water crystals. And they seem to eat em all. I have the container tilted so there poop rolls to the bottom.

There neat bugs. I let em crawl on me. They remind me of rolly pollys . The shell on the small one do. The adults r kinda gross. But not as bad as cock roaches

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Ty for the help I'm sure I will need it. The feeder ones I got to see if she would like them. R still alive and doing good some r to big so I will toss them in the kit wen it gets here and hope they grow. I have been feeding them veggies and pellets that came with my tank also have the orange flunks cricket feed in there plus water crystals. And they seem to eat em all. I have the container tilted so there poop rolls to the bottom.

Yep, you will soon see they will eat almost anything! It's good to stick with the stuff you give your dragon if you have one tank for them, good job! I have three bins now, separated by different stages of their life, so I mainly give just greens to the smaller ones. The adults get whatever is convenient. :D Just today I put in one of those strawberry fruit bars (basically long fig newtons with strawberry jam or something in them - I can't eat them, a friend left it here). It's been two hours and the whole thing is almost completely gone. :eek:

Of course it's rare when I do something like that. Lately I've been feeding them the veggie table scraps, with the occasional dog treat... which they seem to love.

Oh, on a side note, I used to tilt the egg crates like you do, but someone gave me some advice to try them horizontally to see if they like them better. They really do! It may have something to do with the lower levels holding heat better, but I notice them crowding the egg crates more. You do have to deal with poop in there, but I harvest babies from the adult bin about once a month and it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Blu

Bearded Dragon Egg
Large bin as in how large? 20 gallon, 30, 40? I'm starting to make a list of needs to build the containers and so far I haven't found any particular sizes.

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
Got my first baby today :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370656927.081275.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol, that is an egg sac, in the pic it is releasing it from it's body, it will then retract it again into another cavity in its body for incubation. So you have a ways to go yet before you have babies.

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
Lol, that is an egg sac, in the pic it is releasing it from it's body, it will then retract it again into another cavity in its body for incubation. So you have a ways to go yet before you have babies.

I know but still exciting :). I was begging to wonder if they would ever start. This lets me know to that I'm keeping there environment right. :). I hope I get to see when she drops them and they wiggle out of the sacks things. I seen it on YouTube. But nothing like seeing something like that in person. Should be awesome.

Latest posts