• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spike and his Greens!!

Pat B

Super Moderator
I almost had a heart attack today. :) Spike ate ALL the green beans I gave him!! He hasn't eaten any greens in at least a year....little booger! I am so proud of him....I think when he went into brumation he had a dream about eating his greens....Works for me!! LOL!! :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Spike is growing into a mature, strong and mighty dragon indeed! Perhaps he finally is realizing much like Ol Popeye the Sailor knew of his spinach that thars "muskles" to be found in that colour green:-D

Pat B

Super Moderator
Yep....he is entering manhood!! haha....I just took a chance and put the green beans in his enclosure. When he eats I have to leave the room....impolite to watch....lol....went back a few minutes later and the greens were gone!! So I put some more and he ate those too!! Maybe he is finally getting through that thick head of is....EAT YOUR GREENS!!! They are good for you!!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Hi! I am new here and hopefully I'm not intruding too awful much on the conversation. I am having issues with my beardie (Banyon) eating his veggies and am REALLY hoping to get some input. I have talked to many people and tried every trick I can find. Dozens of different veggies and fruits tried...small pieces, larger pieces, cacium powder, no calcium powder, bouncing it across the tank so it "moves", even withholding crickets so he is very hungry (I felt REALLY bad doing this). He will not touch anything. Worried about his dietary patterns and long term health. He's about 5-6 months old... Will he ever eat them?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I am new here and hopefully I'm not intruding too awful much on the conversation. I am having issues with my beardie (Banyon) eating his veggies and am REALLY hoping to get some input. I have talked to many people and tried every trick I can find. Dozens of different veggies and fruits tried...small pieces, larger pieces, cacium powder, no calcium powder, bouncing it across the tank so it "moves", even withholding crickets so he is very hungry (I felt REALLY bad doing this). He will not touch anything. Worried about his dietary patterns and long term health. He's about 5-6 months old... Will he ever eat them?
We will need more info in order to try and help you and your dragon. If you can post pics of your dragon's enclosure setup along with giving details of his temps both cool side and hot side and list what type and strength lighting ( basking and UV)you are using it would be of great help. What size is his enclosure? What type of substrate are you using?Also tell us about your husbandry practices and feeding/supplementation routines. How often is he handled or taken out of his enclosure? How often is he bathed?These would be a great start in getting you some answers.
It is also very common for bearded dragons not to eat veggies when they are young and only eat live prey. When they get older they tend to gravitate more to the greens however they should be offered and available to all ages daily and fresh.
A dragon who goes off of food for a period of time is not necessarily a cause for alarm but most times it is related to improper enclosure setup or stress.
Post your stuff in a new thread and I am sure we sure we can help you narrow down what is causing him not to eat as well as help you correct any improper setup issues if there are any.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike very rarely eats his greens. I was shocked when he ate green beans the other day. If it doesn't move....he doesn't want it!! I put vitamins and calcium on his crix and mealies. I just figure....if he wants his greens he will eat them. He's a 'big' boy....about 17 months. Can't force him. Good luck!! :)

Latest posts