• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some Questions On My Beardie

NightFury

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a few questions about Arvo, that I hope you guys can help with. First though, let me tell you about his enclosure and diet:
Enclosure: 40 gallon long glass tank with 2 sides covered with back ground
Substrate: paper towels
UVB: Reptisun 10.0 HO tube bulb that stretches down whole tank, sits about 10" away from beardie on top of a mesh screen lid
Basking: 2 white/bright basking lights
Basking Objects: towel to lay on, large fake rock to lay on
Temp: Cool side in the 70's to low 80's, basking spot is 95-110F, hot side is 90's
Other: water dish that he can lay in, 2 fake plants hanging on walls
Diet: Fed 6-8 superworms a day, collard and other greens daily on weekdays, (though he doesn't always eat his greens, and when he does, it usually isn't much.)
Supplements: Superworms are dusted with calcium (without D3) once a day, on weekdays, right now i haven't been feeding multivitamins since I was confused when to dust his food with them

Now, the questions:

1. He is a Leusistic Morph. Does this get more specific as for what type he is?
2. Is is exactly 16" long. Can he still eat superworms?
3. He has a small underbite. After looking at my description of his feeding, lights, tank, etc, what do you think is causing this? Please tell me I'm doing everything right and it isn't an early sign of MBD! Let me know if there is anything I can do to keep anything bad from happening!

Here are the pictures of the underbite, I'm pretty sure he didn't have this when I first got him...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That's all I have for now, thanks for answering the questions in advance! :D

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Light set ups arent my forte - im sure someone will chime in. I thought leusistic meant void of colour. He is not void of colour - he is gorgeous. I wouldnt be concerned about the underbite. It msy be congenital. My girl has the same but more and it dont slow her down at all!

NightFury

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's odd, I asked someone online about his type and they just said he was a Leusistic Morph, lol.
What is "congenital?"
I'm glad his underbite doesn't seem worrysome. He eats fine and like champ!
Another random question: is it possible for superworms to chew their way out of the stomach of a beardie? Or at least, harm them? I am hearing both yes and no.
Thank you for the compliment!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
"Congenital" just means a condition present from birth. It may be hereditary it may not.

Is it possible for a worm to chew its way out? maybe but VERY highly unlikely. Don't even waste any energy worrying about that.

NightFury

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, I won't worry lol.
However, he didn't have this underbite since birth I believe. If you look closely at my profile picture, he doesn't seem to have one there. Same with earlier pictures I took of him.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a few questions for you. Regarding your light, did you get the Zoomed fixture with the reflector in the housing? If so, I would be a bit concerned about having it all the way across the entire enclosure. You generally want it to cover about 2/3 of the enclosure, so that the animal has an area of no UV too. That way it can get out of the UV should it choose to. Since you already have the light, you can simply move it to the side a bit so that there is an area that isnt covered by the light.

There is no problem feeding superworms, although I would recommend increasing the variety of live foods as much as you can. Add crickets, roaches, hornworms, nightcrawlers, etc to the mix so that you dont have to worry about nutritional deficiencies that come from feeding a single feeder.

It does look like he is a bit dehydrated though. If/when you are bathing it, take a spray bottle and use the fine mist setting to spray his face. As the water droplets form and run down his face, he will likely start to drink or lick his face as a result.

NightFury

Bearded Dragon Egg
It has a reflector in it, not sure if it is zoomed. I have it all the way across the cage since I read that I should have it like that before. Also, even if I did move the UVB over, he doesn't move to other places in the cage, (unless I dont see him do it.) he just sits under his basking light or goes off the rock to eat some greens. But I can try to move the light over some?
I feed him mealworms, superworms, and crickets. (and of course greens.) My mother won't allow me to get roaches lol, she is terrified of them.
I turn on the shower as he takes his bath, but he HATES water. He puffs up in the water and closes his eyes. Plus, he rarely drinks it. Even if it is on his face. Only way he will take water is from his greens and soaking in the shower. I can continue to try giving it by dripping it on his face though.

NightFury

Bearded Dragon Egg
image.jpg
Here is his setup:
I know it's a bit bland, but I'm looking for new ideas!
The long tube/light in the back is his UVB.
This shot was taken before I filled his water bowl after I had just finished cleaning it.

knowzbleed

Bearded Dragon Egg
as far as the superworms chewing their way out goes, my beardies bite them into several pieces on the way down and from what ive seen when they drop the head section they dont last more than a couple seconds afterward. the next thing im going to say is a very hot subject but here goes, my beardies seemed to love it when i changed to "sand" so they could dig as much as they wanted and customize their enclosure. i said "sand" because i used crushed walnut shell. my beardies are a little over 12" and have handled the switch really well. its been a few weeks and they are still passing stool well and i have seen them ingest a little bit of the "sand" on a few different occasions.

NightFury

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I saw mine crushing the worms yesterday as he ate some so I'm not worried about them chewing their way out lol.

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My 4 year old doesn't drink water either. I bought a 2 dollar syringe at Walmart (with no needle) and give him tiny bits of water that way.

NightFury

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I try that. It rarely works but I'm going to keep trying. I also give him baths/showers every other day.

Latest posts